Rats invade Baton Rouge

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
Yes, we are officially Calcutta West now. People wonder how plagues get started. Well, it probably starts with gang bangers throwing fast food to rats and betting on the winner.
[youtube]4eSB8tnGmlM[/youtube]

Or to to a small town garbage dump right after dark-man that used to be great fun in Port Barre--with pellet guns and .22s.
Line your trucks up, wait about 30 minutes and throw on the headlights and start the massacre.

But, rats invaded Red Stick a long time ago starting with The Rat King---Huey P Long.
:hide:

No Kentucky Wildcat jokes this year, they look like a real contender for the SEC title.

If we have a bad winter it is not going to be pretty because the army worms and lack of rain have left the local pastures in fairly rough condition. There are a lot of cattle hitting the market right now for that very reason.

Earl Long was the real rat king. Huey stuck to building roads and bridges for the most part. It was Earl who fixed it to where more than half the state started receiving a check every month.

They have an annual Nutria Rat hunt in New Orleans that bags over 2,000 a night. They use specially modified .22 rifles that barely make a noise when fired. All it takes is the sound of a click for the Nutria to dive underwater.

Rather funny this thread getting started because I was just asked this morning if we have had trouble with rats at our place this year. Told the friend no. He told me the guy to the east of us has killed 12 rats so far and our cousin is complaining he has the rat from h*ll at his Dad's place. Said he has shot the rat 3 times with a BB gun. Told him he needs to use a .22 instead.
Got 3 mean tom cats at our place so not too sure if a rat would survive taking those boys on.

I luv herfrds":ntqky2gg said:
Rather funny this thread getting started because I was just asked this morning if we have had trouble with rats at our place this year. Told the friend no. He told me the guy to the east of us has killed 12 rats so far and our cousin is complaining he has the rat from h*ll at his Dad's place. Said he has shot the rat 3 times with a BB gun. Told him he needs to use a .22 instead.
Got 3 mean tom cats at our place so not too sure if a rat would survive taking those boys on.
They still sell ratshot for a . 22..

Caustic, here is something pretty neat I found out one day at a gas station, and then I looked it up.....

I stopped at a gas station to fill up, and I had three dogs with me in my truck. Buster in the back and the two Jack Russells in the front. A man came walking up real fast to the truck and said, "Oh what a beautiful dog," speaking of Buster, and before I could say to him, "He is going to growl and he can bite;" he takes Buster's head and starts wallowing it around and puts his face to the dog, and really loves on him. I held my breath as long as I could, but Buster was still and never growled. I was shocked.

Then he goes to the window, and starts loving on Rudy and Abbey. He told me he had just got out of the service and was telling me about in Guam, where they have a snake called the "Brown Tree Snake," and Jack Russells are used to patrol the ships and planes to make sure that this snake is not shipped out of the area. This snake multiples rapidly and has almost killed all the birds on the island. He said they use the Jack Russells to search all outgoing cargo. Pretty neat article..

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2004/08/guam-snake-dogs.html

I remember how I took Porky, a female Jack Russell to a barn that was infested with rats, where they were really messing up the man's feed. When she and Minnie started digging, the rats scattered. Minnie was a Rat Terrier, but she was more or less covering the other entrance to the holes. She helped, but Porky was running over Minnie to grab rats. Porky would grab one, and it would ball up on her head, and she would get so mad and start whipping and slashing her body around trying to sling it off of her head. Those rats were big, and it covered her whole head, and and neck. She started biting them as hard as she could to disable them, and then if any started to move off, she would go back and bite them harder. Rats fight back. She and Minnie killed a lot of rats that day. After they cleaned the nest out, she went back and bit each rat several times to kill it if it was still alive.

There was no way I would have gone in that area that had walls where she was digging as the rats were going everywhere. I know one would have run up on me to get away from her. Awwggghhhhhh!
The man was afraid to put out poison as it takes several eatings for the rat to die. They were in his feed, and I have seen where the rats would poop that green color out as it was going into their system.

Watching Porky was like watching a Meth head beg for more as she was prancing around. I do believe if you were to ask Porky, what was the best day of your life, she would have said, "The day I went to that barn where the rats were!" She would prance around in the yard if she caught something the night before. Some of the things she got were so much larger than she was. She was a real sweetie to people. She was a Parson's Russell, with longer legs. She was so fast. I loved that little dog. She lived to be 16.

Notice she is the only one digging in packed ground while Booger Red and Arlo are waiting for her to come out with the goods. Porky looks angry as they are waiting. Arlo, the Blue Heeler behind Booger Red, was deaf.
P0001374.jpg

We have lots of packrats around here.. Our record is trapping about 60 in a year, I think we're at about 30 this year. We don't have any cats or dogs, but it takes a bold cat to catch them... I miss our cat Patz, he was fearless of anything.

Son got cousin's rat today with a shovel. No need to shoot it.
It had been hiding under the porch step and son with another guy started kicking rocks and the rat ran out and up the drain spout.
They plugged the drain spout and started filling it with water but son got bored and grabbed a shovel and unplugged the drain. No more rat.

I luv herfrds":3ro617f6 said:
It had been hiding under the porch step and son with another guy started kicking rocks and the rat ran out and up the drain spout.
They plugged the drain spout and started filling it with water but son got bored and grabbed a shovel and unplugged the drain. No more rat.

"First you hit it with the shovel then you cut the head off." :D
[youtube]728QitmEEjE[/youtube]

The owner is what makes a yapping dog. It has probably been penned up away from all other signs of life in a corner of the yard. People that want a dog, and stick it in a pen away from them, they do not deserve a dog. Dog are not loners and want company like we do.
A Jack Russell is a very large dog in a small body. They are crazy hunters as Caustic says. Fearless.

I can always tell when they kill a snake because they will have red whip marks on their body where they start pulling the skin off, and continue to whip them back and forth. They look like red tigers. Abbey hunts for snakes in everything. I take her into PetSmart, and she wants to get behind the merchandise on the shelves to see if one is in behind everything.

My Blue Heeler, Buster, is the talker. He discusses every animal on TV; when he wants something out of the pantry, and of course, when he wants to go outside.
The Jack Russells have been very quite as most learn to be quite or they won't catch anything.

Chuckie":1yiv8wdo said:
The owner is what makes a yapping dog. It has probably been penned up away from all other signs of life in a corner of the yard. People that want a dog, and stick it in a pen away from them, they do not deserve a dog. Dog are not loners and want company like we do.
A Jack Russell is a very large dog in a small body. They are crazy hunters as Caustic says. Fearless.

I can always tell when they kill a snake because they will have red whip marks on their body where they start pulling the skin off, and continue to whip them back and forth. They look like red tigers. Abbey hunts for snakes in everything. I take her into PetSmart, and she wants to get behind the merchandise on the shelves to see if one is in behind everything.

My Blue Heeler, Buster, is the talker. He discusses every animal on TV; when he wants something out of the pantry, and of course, when he wants to go outside.
The Jack Russells have been very quite as most learn to be quite or they won't catch anything.

DD never makes a sound neither did my other Russell's unless someone has pulled up or a varmit in the yard.
Russell's don't work with abuse they work on praise. They also need a job, if they don't have one they will find an activity to
occupy them. As you stated they are a large dog in a small body with absolute loyalty to their owner.
They will leave a t-bone steak to go with their owner.
Russell's are not for everyone by any means they are highly intelligent boredom does not suit their personality.
No one should ever get one without doing serious research.

I luv herfrds":1vmxm7hl said:

And then the Lord called him home!

http://youtu.be/9Z0q2p8tVpM