Rat tail - losing switch

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
So I posted on this some time ago and couldn't get the picture to load. Well, now i my ad a picture is back and this is what it looks like. Fescue poisoning came up as an options - there may be some fescue in my fields but they are mostly just regular ol pasture - not fescue fields - and are fairly short as I rotationally graze.

Another argument has it that tail rot from infection (form of gang green), and mite infection. Any additional thoughts?

looks like something has ate it down.. mites / flies..

doesn't look like a infection

End appears dead. Happens to about 1/10 of my retained animals every year. Last year, in a group of 10 sale bulls, 3 lost their switches.

I have plenty of fescue, more then others in my area, and have not had that problem. I have one I bought like that, guy said wild dogs bit it off, she does fine.

BK9954":1f074503 said:
I have plenty of fescue, more then others in my area, and have not had that problem. I have one I bought like that, guy said wild dogs bit it off, she does fine.

Yeah, they all seem to do fine and don't have any other symptoms of fescue toxicity - when 10 % of your herd loses their tail every year, makes you wonder WTF.

Latest posts