Rare Sight

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute I was fishing yesterday with my hay man /fishing partner he bales for the big brimmer operation here.
He told me last year they averaged 3800 on their heifers.

Stocker Steve":31pytw40 said:
Brute 23":31pytw40 said:
I'm not following you.

The question is - - since Brahman heifers apparently sell for a big premium, why are there not more produced ?
Because so many sold their souls for black hides and now can't back down from it.

greybeard":340mf0ub said:
Stocker Steve":340mf0ub said:
Brute 23":340mf0ub said:
I'm not following you.

The question is - - since Brahman heifers apparently sell for a big premium, why are there not more produced ?
Because so many sold their souls for black hides and now can't back down from it.

Well said

Stocker Steve":eybvo28d said:
Brute 23":eybvo28d said:
I'm not following you.

That is a good question. From what I have seen the straight Brahman game is not pushed to others like Angus or some of the other breeds are. They kind of push... add ear to your females... or... put your Hereford and Angus bulls on our females.. more.

I do agree with others that people have drank the black hide kool-aid and they also fell for the... you can feed you way to prosperity gimmick. I could also see the herd sizes being smaller and more weekend ranchers having some effect. Those don't go over with the straight brahman cattle very well either.

:pop: 2
Stocker Steve":12mhxb4j said:
Brute 23":12mhxb4j said:
I'm not following you.

I've never had any of them, but another reason might be the fact that you're going to get 50% bull calves, and they're generally worth a lot less than the heifers.

Rafter S":vyiw0csx said:
:pop: 2
Stocker Steve":vyiw0csx said:
Brute 23":vyiw0csx said:
I'm not following you.

I've never had any of them, but another reason might be the fact that you're going to get 50% bull calves, and they're generally worth a lot less than the heifers.

... and heifers bring at least double... even thru the sale barn. Look at the original post. So how bad of a beating can you take on a bull calf when its heifer counter part brings $1400?Worse case scenario, it is a wash.

A guy I was talking to last week whipped out a receipt from the sale barn and his straight Brahman bulls were bringing $1.10 - $1.15.

Stocker Steve":jwjr9o10 said:
Brute 23":jwjr9o10 said:
I've been looking at more straight brahman cattle than I care to remember the last couple months. Most places I went to their weaned heifers started out at $1800... weaned heifers... some registered some not. That was the bottom side of the group too. They were not show stoppers. If I saw what looked like a nice heifer you could be she was $2300+............ weaned heifers! :shock:

Sounds like a moneymaker for someone.

At that price - - why don't they raise them and then truck them in to Texas from Mexico or Florida or wahtever?
As in buy low sell high Steve? Sounds good to me. Perhaps even put some cheap grass gains on them in OK and get them used to the sight of man.

Stocker Steve":o6c1wpeu said:
greybeard":o6c1wpeu said:

Now that we have black Herefords - - it is hard to think of a beef breed that is not black. Didn't some Brimmers turn black too?

Yes there are Black Brahman cattle. They had a nice Black Brahman bull when I bought mine. Im not sure the details but I don't think its like the Black Hereford.

Brute 23":3f70ya0d said:
Stocker Steve":3f70ya0d said:
greybeard":3f70ya0d said:

Now that we have black Herefords - - it is hard to think of a beef breed that is not black. Didn't some Brimmers turn black too?

Yes there are Black Brahman cattle. They had a nice Black Brahman bull when I bought mine. Im not sure the details but I don't think its like the Black Hereford.

American Brahmans are not black they come in grey or red with black tail switch, hooves and nose.
Bulls may have darker colored forequarter.
Some Gyrs are black.

RanchMan90":3d4fvbl7 said:
Sounds good to me. Perhaps even put some cheap grass gains on them in OK and get them used to the sight of man.

Raising weaned Brimmer heifers that sell for a couple grand might even work in the north. I assume the buyers would not want froze off ears - - so the safe thing might be to duct tap the ears to the head during the coldest periods. :nod: Guys calving in an artic vortex sometimes do that with new born English calves.

Do you think Brimmer cows and heifers would mind the application of a little duct tape?

Stocker Steve":20c10knf said:
RanchMan90":20c10knf said:
Sounds good to me. Perhaps even put some cheap grass gains on them in OK and get them used to the sight of man.

Raising weaned Brimmer heifers that sell for a couple grand might even work in the north. I assume the buyers would not want froze off ears - - so the safe thing might be to duct tap the ears to the head during the coldest periods. :nod: Guys calving in an artic vortex sometimes do that with new born English calves.

Do you think Brimmer cows and heifers would mind the application of a little duct tape?
:lol2: Better just utilize them as summer grazers and send them South for winter. They can actually be bought cheaper North of I40 than Florida for that reason and save you a ton on freight.

Caustic Burno":2iavkn9t said:
Brute 23":2iavkn9t said:
Stocker Steve":2iavkn9t said:

American Brahmans are not black they come in grey or red with black tail switch, hooves and nose.
Bulls may have darker colored forequarter.
Some Gyrs are black.[/quote]
You forgot the spotted Brahmans and black Brahmans. Greys and reds are more common than spotted and blacks tho.

You can have one that says Grey but it looks red and vise-versa. The blacks do not register as Black. They just started carrying more black and more black naturally. You can't breed the blacks and think its going to be dominant. There have always been Brahman cattle that carried a lot of black. Some would have just a grey strip around their belly. There are some that just have a red strip around their belly also.

Stocker Steve":sphddai2 said:
Must be a lot of profit in running cows there.
My luck if I had a pasture full of them they would have all bull calves for $1.10 a lb. Sexed semen would be worth it for that $ though.