Rank Bahia

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I have just baled about 40 acres of some of the rankest Bahia for a Neighbor that I have ever seen. I stripped the shaft on the 4230 Case-IH tractor which is 72 HP. I sent it to the shop. I had to remove the accu-bale monitor from the Case-IH and install on a 4100 Ford. I am baling with a Rebel 5400. It really gave the 4100 a workout. I have found that with the Rebel Baler that the hay has to be real dry or there is problems with it. They claim you can bale haylage with it. I would not want to try. I had one restrictor plate installed for the 4100. Without it it was a no go. it looks like it is going to make over 200 bales.
That is about 5 bales to the acre.

That's an incredible yield for bahia. I guess you'll be buying another set of blades for your mower too. Its amazing to me how cows won't eat rank bahia very well. However, once you cut it, they eat it pretty well.

Jogeephus":iqjec9l7 said:
That's an incredible yield for bahia. I guess you'll be buying another set of blades for your mower too. Its amazing to me how cows won't eat rank bahia very well. However, once you cut it, they eat it pretty well.

We cut it with a nine foot New Holland sickle mower and a 7 foot International 1300 sickle mower. Cut pretty clean. Only problem being the grass board had a time turning the grass. There has been close to four inches of growth since the cutting which was Monday. We have had no rain since the middle of July. Kinda need some now. You refered to a fairway sprigger in another post, got any brand names.

I can see it on the side but I can't think of the name brand. I'll try to remember to write it down next time I see one and send it to you.

Latest posts