range meal feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good range meal feeder or plans to build one? I'm looking for something that will supplement a herd of 40 for a week or more during the winter. A prerequisite is that it must be easily portable from pasture to pasture such as with wheels are durable skids.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I see alot of people with a T & S trip hopper. Made in Texas and hear they are really good.

Scotty

I was thinking more along the lines of a covered (roofed) hopper or bin that you pour meal or supplement into that will hold enough product for at least a week. This is the only link I've found so far -http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/5776.pdf

That thing is lots more coplicated than you need. Go to a rural highschool and check with their FFA chapter or their carpentry class and they should be able to set you up.

For your purpose, you only need about a 3' x 8' x 10 or 12 inch deep trough. It should hold around 650 pounds of meal.

I have some made out of metal which are better for draging but the salt really is rough on the steel even though the trough is made of wood. (uprights and skids are metal with sheet iron on the ends).

Make sure they cover the ends and this will help keep your feed dry.

Latest posts