Range Cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I have been doing some experimenting with different brands of cubes the past few months and
figured out that some of the cubes for sale in my area are Peanut based not Corn based. Is there any
advantage to a Peanut based cube ? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":34j69ngr said:
I have been doing some experimenting with different brands of cubes the past few months and
figured out that some of the cubes for sale in my area are Peanut based not Corn based. Is there any
Actually they most likely contain "peanut meal" rather than cottonseed meal which most companies in the South use. Nothing wrong with it at all....No cube contains much corn Kingfisher. Just enough to show up.

Just be careful feeding it to horses and sheep- lots of molds on peanuts.

Howdyjabo":3r5ymyhj said:
Just be careful feeding it to horses and sheep- lots of molds on peanuts.
They're processed and the hulls, skins, and all the oil removed. Leaves a product with 50% crude protein. Good product but only know of one mill that uses it here in Texas and they own most of the peanut meal produced in the state.

TexasBred":3c8aie6g said:
Kingfisher":3c8aie6g said:
Actually they most likely contain "peanut meal" rather than cottonseed meal which most companies in the South use. Nothing wrong with it at all....No cube contains much corn Kingfisher. Just enough to show up.

20% cubes are $10 a bag now and the lady at the feed store said it wasn't because of the corn prices but because of the soy bean meal prices are high.

ousoonerfan22":1ttpzc6h said:
20% cubes are $10 a bag now and the lady at the feed store said it wasn't because of the corn prices but because of the soy bean meal prices are high.

Sounds logical. Few cubes contain soybean meal, however, soybean meal dictates the price of alternative protein sources...Bean meal is out of sight now so alternatives can go up as well as long as they remain low enough to be the "best buy". US crop will also be down this year due to drought conditionis in so many areas.

Latest posts