Ranch Rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Bought a Ruger Ranch Rifle 223 today. Bought it to trade on but kinda like it. Might keep it a while. Anyone shoot one? Good or bad things about them?

kenny thomas":2bv5a4hh said:
Bought a Ruger Ranch Rifle 223 today. Bought it to trade on but kinda like it. Might keep it a while. Anyone shoot one? Good or bad things about them?

Mini-14? I'm pretty sure it is, I'm looking forward to the responses.

dieselbeef":5irn64wv said:
i want one bad..too rich fer me tho

I have watched for a used one but they are spendy.
I have seen some customized so I assume the accuracy is not that great out of the box.
I use a lot of bolt guns, since I hunted prairie dogs before we got the cows...

Stocker Steve":3nxj0nv6 said:
dieselbeef":3nxj0nv6 said:
i want one bad..too rich fer me tho

I have watched for a used one but they are spendy.
I have seen some customized so I assume the accuracy is not that great out of the box.
I use a lot of bolt guns, since I hunted prairie dogs before we got the cows...
I picked one up at an auction for 200 bucks with a scope. When it worked it was a blast, not accurate worth snot but fun. Unloaded it at a gunshow for 300.

Spent weeks and hundreds of rounds of ammo trying to get one to shoot for a friend. Would not ever own one!

A friend advised me to get the Savage .223 with accutrigger. I bought the varmint express with heavy barrel and put a Nikon Buckmaster 14.5 x 40 on it. It has become my favorite gun I have ever owned.

I like ours... adjusting to shooting with a peep sight took a little bit... I suppose you could switch that out

It does just fine :nod:

DavisBeefmasters":2lf3mt08 said:
I like ours... adjusting to shooting with a peep sight took a little bit... I suppose you could switch that out

Can you quantify...just fine. What do the groups measure at 100yds. I never got my buddies gun to shoot better than minute of paper plate(9"). To be fair this was about 8 years ago. Maybe they are better now. But for sure not an "accurate" rifle by my standards

Definately not a varmint rifle, unless you just want to sling lead!

3waycross":3eswh9i9 said:
DavisBeefmasters":3eswh9i9 said:

Can you quantify...just fine. What do the groups measure at 100yds. I never got my buddies gun to shoot better than minute of paper plate(9"). To be fair this was about 8 years ago. Maybe they are better now. But for sure not an "accurate" rifle by my standards

Definately not a varmint rifle, unless you just want to sling lead!
That's about how mine was, 4-6 inches at 50 yds and occasioanlly hitting the target at 100. All with the caveat, when it worked at all

an ar will do what that mini will do better/easier/more reliably than what that mini will ever do...for bout the same money round here..

dieselbeef":c6pp73ll said:
an ar will do what that mini will do better/easier/more reliably than what that mini will ever do...for bout the same money round here..
I'ld like to find a good ar for 300-400 bucks

dun":taaxw6by said:
dieselbeef":taaxw6by said:
Me too. Most around here want big money for em.

hooknline":2y9yzo45 said:
dun":2y9yzo45 said:
dieselbeef":2y9yzo45 said:
Me too. Most around here want big money for em.
Besides the cost my other problem with them is the weight

lynnmcmahan":1fm2whgd said:
Thought the Ranch .223 was Ruger's version of the WWII .30 cal carbine. Not much accuracy.
I got a lot more accuracy from my old surplus M1 carbine then I did with the ranch rifle

I had a Ranch rifle back when I trapped coyotes. I shot a few coyotes with it but they had to be close or unlucky. It was good for about 4-5 inch groups at a 100 yards at best. I ended up trading it for a Browning lever action that my kids used when they started deer hunting.
I knew a guy in Montana who used one while calling coyotes. He had a 30 round magazine for it. He said if he missed the first shot he rarely got them with the next 29. But he said it was amazing how many gears a coyote can find with that much lead chasing him.

Every m1 I've ever shot jammed about every 8th round though. Could have been age and wear But I like the platform. Considering the ome period and the knowledge they were a great advancement

Latest posts