Ran over and killed a squirrel

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Spoiled my whole day. I was going to the farm early this morning when it happened. I hate to be responsible for a death. I don't know what has happened to me in the last four years. I think it is because of cows.

When you mess with cows as much as I do you see somethings. They take simple pleasure in my scratches on that tender soft skin under their tail. They crane their neck, rolls their eyes, and delight in the pleasure. Ok, how is that different from what the purpose of our life is. I know, we are here for the glory of God. I don't believe that. We are just here. We need to enjoy being here. If a cow enjoys being here, then are they that far removed from us? My dog likes to receive my attention. It pleasures him. Therefore, my cows and dogs have taught me something. That life all up and down the hierarchy of the evolutionary chart can take a delight in life.

Don't label me an animal rights advocate. I don't like to institutionalize my emotions. I just don't want to take the life of a critter that has the ability to enjoy its life. I don't want to kill a mouse, a snake, a rabbit or a cow. I sell my feeder calves and I don't sit down and cry my eyes out but they do get a little red and wet when I see them hauled off.

You folks who are younger will understand better when you get to be 60 and you start thinking that the time is coming when you will not be here.

Ron as a hunter, trapper, fisherman, and a small farmer with 5 cows and 5 pigs I have utmost respect for any animal I kill whether it be a big buck or a mouse in a trap I still feel a little sadness.
As a trapper I have the most respect for those animals as they are survivors and I'm Lucky just to be in their presence.
My cattle are much like yours and love to be scratched on and I feel about them as most people do their dogs and would get very upset if someone was tormenting them. There is a trust there!

Just because I'm a trapper does not mean I'm cold hearted I try to show all animals respect, except possums I hate possums! ;-)

trappersteve":2wrxonwc said:
Ron as a hunter, trapper, fisherman, and a small farmer with 5 cows and 5 pigs I have utmost respect for any animal I kill whether it be a big buck or a mouse in a trap I still feel a little sadness.
As a trapper I have the most respect for those animals as they are survivors and I'm Lucky just to be in their presence.
My cattle are much like yours and love to be scratched on and I feel about them as most people do their dogs and would get very upset if someone was tormenting them. There is a trust there!

Just because I'm a trapper does not mean I'm cold hearted I try to show all animals respect, except possums I hate possums! ;-)

Trapper, about 2 years ago I ordered trapping equipment from Fur Harvester's Trading Post. I was going to trap foxes and coyotes. I got the very best traps, they make some really good ones these days. I made three dirt hole sets. That night I worried all night long that someone's dog was caught in one. I would fall asleep and have a half dream half worry kind of thing going on in my head. As much as I love trapping, I went out the next day and pulled them up. I just could not deal with the fear of catching a dog.

You can wreck a dang good vehicle trying to decide which way a squirrel is going to run and still run over him half the time.

BTW: Trapper, I understand how you feel. I have never pursued any sport that I enjoyed more than trapping. I do like possums though. :D But they carry coccidiosis so would rather not have them in my hay.

Ron I caught a dog about 3 years ago( beagle) I got up to him and he about licked me to death to say he was happy to see me was an understatement I turned him loose and that Crazy thing followed me all day about gettin caught again numerous times, finally got to the truck the Crazy thing jumped in I almost drove off with him but I Decided to leave him there by the end of the day he had Deffinatly become a friend . To this day I regret Leavin him there and he didn't have a collar

Ron I caught a dog about 3 years ago( beagle) I got up to him and he about licked me to death to say he was happy to see me was an understatement I turned him loose and that Crazy thing followed me all day about gettin caught again numerous times, finally got to the truck the Crazy thing jumped in I almost drove off with him but I Decided to leave him there by the end of the day he had Deffinatly become a friend . To this day I regret Leavin him there and he didn't have a collar

I like all animals, except PACK RATS.. darned do they STINK and make a mess, but even some of them I have pity about, because they're an amazingly intelligent animal.. heaven forbid the trap doesn't catch them the first time, they will not fall for any other trap! Then there's all the other pests we have around here that are SSS, but I do have regrets about having to get rid of them, some are cute, young, furry, and rather innocent, but I know that in 1 or 2 years, they're going to be serious hazards and just not be quite as cute anymore, and just make BIG damage around here... They do have 5000 square miles where they will be undisturbed, so get the he|| back in there and leave me alone.
I am against typical sport hunting.. How about instead of making it marginally legal to shoot pests on your land, you eliminate sport hunting and call it a free-for-all when these animals are in your back yard. It would make a lot more sense than allowing people to go in the backcountry and 'chase' the animals into 'civilized' areas and telling the residents "here.. deal with it".

Nesikep":11y08ihk said:
I like all animals, except PACK RATS.. darned do they STINK and make a mess, but even some of them I have pity about, because they're an amazingly intelligent animal.. heaven forbid the trap doesn't catch them the first time, they will not fall for any other trap! Then there's all the other pests we have around here that are SSS, but I do have regrets about having to get rid of them, some are cute, young, furry, and rather innocent, but I know that in 1 or 2 years, they're going to be serious hazards and just not be quite as cute anymore, and just make BIG damage around here... They do have 5000 square miles where they will be undisturbed, so get the he|| back in there and leave me alone.
I am against typical sport hunting.. How about instead of making it marginally legal to shoot pests on your land, you eliminate sport hunting and call it a free-for-all when these animals are in your back yard. It would make a lot more sense than allowing people to go in the backcountry and 'chase' the animals into 'civilized' areas and telling the residents "here.. deal with it".

Exactly what is typical sport hunting?

3waycross":3rmelx8n said:
Nesikep":3rmelx8n said:

Exactly what is typical sport hunting?

Please tell us.

It could have been a lot worse inyati13, a few years back I was driving my girlfriend home from work and a little bunny ran right under my rear passenger tire. As I watched it lie motioneless in my side view mirror, I get caught with a jab to the eye from K. Needless to say she want home walking.

So the point is you didn't get hit in the eye!

jrn28":2728nwv4 said:
It could have been a lot worse inyati13, a few years back I was driving my girlfriend home from work and a little bunny ran right under my rear passenger tire. As I watched it lie motioneless in my side view mirror, I get caught with a jab to the eye from K. Needless to say she want home walking.

So the point is you didn't get hit in the eye!
That's one way of her telling you the rabbit died :lol2:

M5, 3way, What do I consider typical trophy hunting?.. Taking bears for example, it's just for a head and hide.. if you make use of the rest of the animal for more than show, I can live with that just fine, as hunting for a nice buck, you eat the meat and mount the rack.

Nesikep":2grre8aq said:
M5, 3way, What do I consider typical trophy hunting?.. Taking bears for example, it's just for a head and hide.. if you make use of the rest of the animal for more than show, I can live with that just fine, as hunting for a nice buck, you eat the meat and mount the rack.
That's not true at all. Bear meat is very good, at least black bear meat. Not sure about brown/grizzly. And there are other reasons some for hunting, particularly population control.

M.Magis":17ngzgfm said:
Nesikep":17ngzgfm said:
That's not true at all. Bear meat is very good, at least black bear meat. Not sure about brown/grizzly. And there are other reasons some for hunting, particularly population control.
Not if they;ve been feeding on skunk cabbage! Feeding on berries is a whole nother deal.