Ralgro implants

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
After reading another thread concerning implants, I read some info on the Ralgro site. It seems cost effect, the site says it cost about 20 cents a dose and should give you 20 to 35 pounds extra gain at weaning. I like the fact that it is a non estrogen product, but would like to hear some first hand thoughts on it from anyone that has used ralgro. I would like to know the effects on breeding age heifers when ralgro was used on preweaned hiefers, meaning any long term side effects, prolapses, early cycles, etc. Has anyone used it on a calf they later used as a breeding bull? I don't like the fact that implants containing estrogen will bind into the muscle, I'm assuming tainting the meat with estrogen, any effects like this from Ralgro.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Alan

if i remember right your not to use them on anything with nuts,so there shouldnt be bulls implanted,but i could be wrong

Unless Ralgro has got a different program, you definately do NOT use it on a bull of any age.
We used to use Ralgro - EXTREMELY cost effective. I would not use it on heifers except for feedlot heifers.
We quit using it because of the PERCEIVED problems - and - My feedlot buyer doesn't want it.
My retained ownership steers that are fed out at Cornell, receive implants after they go on the feedlot.
We, personally, think Ralgro is an excellent product.

Ralgro is ok for heifers prior to or at weaning. I've used it but it's more like 1.10$ a dose.
Where are you getting it for .20?

shaz":11dbjgxt said:
Ralgro is ok for heifers prior to or at weaning. I've used it but it's more like 1.10$ a dose.
Where are you getting it for .20?

Sorry, I misread the sites info, it's a 20 cents over the cost of another implant. Have you used it on replacement heifers prior to weaning with no problems?

http://www.ralgro.com/tips/ooapip.html

Alan

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3jdln6q3 said:
Unless Ralgro has got a different program, you definately do NOT use it on a bull of any age.
We used to use Ralgro - EXTREMELY cost effective. I would not use it on heifers except for feedlot heifers.
We quit using it because of the PERCEIVED problems - and - My feedlot buyer doesn't want it.

What were the perceived problems? and why does you feed lot buyer not like it?

My retained ownership steers that are fed out at Cornell, receive implants after they go on the feedlot.
We, personally, think Ralgro is an excellent product.

Thanks for the reponses
Alan

ALL imlants are perceived to be bad for you to eat the meat. I believe the UK still bans US meat because we allow implants to be used in our meat animals even tho they cannot detect the ingredients of implants in the meat.

I used it on breeding heifers. It's ok.

Ralgro Magnum is another story though. It's not recommended for heifers your keeping.
You can use it on bulls too. I've done it. No adverse effect but no real benefit either.

Hope this helps

shaz":b8xgh0at said:
Ralgro Magnum is another story though. It's not recommended for heifers your keeping.
You can use it on bulls too. I've done it. No adverse effect but no real benefit either.

Hope this helps

Shaz, :drink:
If you have documentation of Implants recomended for breeding bulls, could you please post the source?

Please see my comments about why implant strategies fail.

A neighbor did a little trial in his feedlot using a couple different implants. His data suggests Ralgro does gain a few cents when considering the cost of the implant with the added gain. However, the added gain was minimal compared to the other implants. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think the Ralgro added around 15 pounds over the control in a three month period.

AudieWyoming":3dyxafgt said:
shaz":3dyxafgt said:

Hope this helps

If you have documentation of Implants recomended for breeding bulls, could you please post the source?

There is no data that I know of. I implanted 20 bulls 3 years ago with the idea of coming back and banding once my bander came in and my poll barn was finished. Is was NOT something I planned.

The bulls did just fine.

shaz":3199f6kq said:
AudieWyoming":3199f6kq said:
shaz":3199f6kq said:

Hope this helps

There is no data that I know of. I implanted 20 bulls 3 years ago with the idea of coming back and banding once my bander came in and my poll barn was finished. Is was NOT something I planned.

The bulls did just fine.
Yeah, says YOU, the seller! GLAD I wasn't a buyer! They DO affect their reproduction. Maybe not enough in some cases, but they don't ban the use for no good reason.

Thank you Shaz, that is what I was after. Bulls generally will have better growth and performance because of the naturally occuring hormones. Implants are designed to replicate that performance W/O the inherent problems that come with trying to run or feed a bunch of horny young bulls. That's also why spayed heifers are becoming more common.

You need to be careful about making broad statements like "You can use it on bulls too." Based on the fact that you did it to a few mis-managed feeder bulls and none of them died!

shaz":1arpnxxh said:
AudieWyoming":1arpnxxh said:
shaz":1arpnxxh said:

Hope this helps

The bulls did just fine.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3v101wsh said:
AudieWy - you are much more diplomatic than me. Afraid I'm too blunt!

Give them enough rope they will hang themselves! :lol: :lol: :lol: