New Marbling Research and Implants

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Some Angus Association articles about implants being detriminal to quality grades needs to be examined more closely. Note* FAT = LIPID

"Implanting resulted in larger (P 0.10) HCW and LM area for heifers and steers. However, implanting did not affect (P > 0.10) dressing percent, fat thickness, percentage of KPH, yield grade, or marbling score. Intramuscular lipid content and concentrations of major fatty acids did not differ (P > 0.10) between treatments. Percentage of SC adipocytes was greater at larger diameters ( > 150 µm), whereas the majority of i.m. adipocytes were at small to middle diameters (50 to 150 µm). The number of i.m. adipocytes per gram of tissue was greater (P < 0.05) for SP than C and also were greater (P < 0.05) than the number of s.c. adipocytes in SP heifers. In experiment 2, adipocytes per gram of tissue tended to be greater (P = 0.07) for SP than C and were greater (P < 0.01) for i.m. than s.c. In experiment 1, average cell diameter and volume did not differ (P > 0.10) between treatments and tissues, but in experiment 2 both cellularity traits were greater (P < 0.01) for s.c. than for i.m.. Implanting did not alter mRNA expression of ACC, SCD, or LPL in i.m. adipose tissue. This study shows that anabolic implants do not appear to have direct effects on i.m. lipid deposition. "

Latest posts