RAISING BEEF CATTLE ON A FEW ACRES

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":cspcjens said:
Von Helman":cspcjens said:
Let me ask

In a feed lot situation how many cows can or should fit in 25,000 sq feet on average ??

I've heard that the going rate is 250 sq ft per head so 25,000 sq ft would support 100. I'd guess that would depend on a lot of variables, though.

Thank you for the information, I had planed to put 40 cows in that amount of space and have been told by a few people (who know it all) that I was way off line and that it was cruel. I'm like ..its a feed lot.. whats cruel about that?

Von Helman":3dqjuxts said:
VanC":3dqjuxts said:
Von Helman":3dqjuxts said:
Let me ask

In a feed lot situation how many cows can or should fit in 25,000 sq feet on average ??

I've heard that the going rate is 250 sq ft per head so 25,000 sq ft would support 100. I'd guess that would depend on a lot of variables, though.

Thank you for the information, I had planed to put 40 cows in that amount of space and have been told by a few people (who know it all) that I was way off line and that it was cruel. I'm like ..its a feed lot.. whats cruel about that?

There is a poster here called "inbredredneck" that runs a feedlot and knows more about it than I ever will. You might PM him.

NorthAlasmalls":1dyo3mms said:
Just what I needed...Thanks :)

May want to check out 2 book's that are good info on profit & cattle!

Joel Salatan: HOW TO FARM- This is about making a small profit and not getting in over your head and raising other things that can go along with cattle and compliment each other like pasture chickens and cattle. 8 of 10 Review (Gr8 Read though too!)

Storey: Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle- This is informative about shots, dieseases, land, shelter the works..All around great book I give this book a 9 of 10 Review only because it goes more in depth with cattle.

Goodluck :cboy:

Bigfoot":3qgpw9et said:
Keep posting like this Arkansas and you'll be a guru in a few days.

Should had been a Guru 3 yrs ago..lol I just dont post that much, I like to sit back and just read mostly and soak up all the knowledge. Just finally got nothing but time here lately while waiting for the semester to start.

Von Helman":pc5jj2zc said:
Let me ask

1 acre is 43560 square feet. Hope this helps...

ok I took a few acres and cut into three pastures in witch i can move the cattle around for grazing. Where i live i am allowed one head per acre. I just started this ranch in May so learning as i go, but should work just fine. I have 10 head so smallest pasture i made 10 acres. The other two pastures are 12 and 14 acres. All have one or two ponds along with natural creek running through all pastures. I found a deal for $200 a head at 7 months so filling them out til they hit 700 pounds.

Go to your local extension office. Greene County Arkansas is known more for row crops than cattle, but UofA has Arkansas specific information that is backed by their reserch. About the 3 head per acre, I found 0ne cow/calf to 3 acres is about right if you put up hay.But your ground is much richer than mine. Also where is your closest market? :welcome:

rnh1":366d0byp said:
Go to your local extension office. Greene County Arkansas is known more for row crops than cattle, but UofA has Arkansas specific information that is backed by their reserch. About the 3 head per acre, I found 0ne cow/calf to 3 acres is about right if you put up hay.But your ground is much richer than mine. Also where is your closest market? :welcome:

You should see in the message that it says Utah State University Extension Office Market for what exactly ? To buy cattle or to sell beef ?
:tiphat:

Latest posts