RAISING BEEF CATTLE ON A FEW ACRES

Help Support CattleToday:

Its possible to raise cattle in a few acres, you just have to proper design your grazing field, shelter and water supply. A lot of cattle farmers I know started out by raising cattle in a few acres before they make large investments.

Great advice in this tread,

All the best!

Thank you for taking the time to post your knowledge...it really helps us newbies out....I feel more infor... :banana:

All credit goes to Utah State University Extension Office :) I just done some internet searching is all, glad you found it helpful though :)

I think you folks need to study the dairy industry on this subject. I spent over thirty years with a total confinement herd. Management and management problems increase the more dense the population. Things such as disease and hoof problems require much more attention. It is hard to put a value on sunshine and excersize for a breeding stock animal. Every operation is different just as are dairy farms so there can be no one plan to fit all. There are benefits to intensive management but there can be monster problems to if not aproached realistically to. Again take time and observe Dairys in your area. There is no logic in trying to reinvent the wheel.

Hi all.
I am the youngest registered breederror of pedigree Santa Gertrudis cattle in New Zealand. I run a stud farm on a 17.7 acre block. I success fully run 9 breeders, 2 bulls and 4 others for meat ect.
Land is notherwise a big issue when breeding cattle, so long as you choose your breed wisely.
For example Herefords will take more room and feed than a Lowline Angus.

I could go on for hours about my Santa Gertrudis and why you should breed them. But go for the breed you like and stick to them.

Hello all I am new here. Trying to get into the cattle business, I have a full time job working on a farm now and I am currently purchasing my own farm (going to keep working day job). However I want to buy cattle, enough to at least make the payments on my farm a bit easier.
What is the best way to get started and get the most bang for your buck per say?

rbaldwin87":30ixgswd said:
Hello all I am new here. Trying to get into the cattle business, I have a full time job working on a farm now and I am currently purchasing my own farm (going to keep working day job). However I want to buy cattle, enough to at least make the payments on my farm a bit easier.
What is the best way to get started and get the most bang for your buck per say?

Welcome. I bought some bred heifers and beyond that point have been strictly AI-ing (haven't bought a bull yet). Hold a few calves back that I really like to be replacement heifers otherwise sell calf crop. Haven't seen anything that I'd like to be a bull.

You're going to have sunk cost on cattle to start with sorry to say (just as with the land). Congrats on property that's what I am doing have full time job and this is a part-time job for me. Unfortunately, everything seems like sunk costs, have been getting some money back on the calf crop but it will take a few years for it really to start coming together more.

You're going to have to get started for something and I like bred heifers because you get to start out with calf crop, use them again the next year, and get some of your replacement heifers going. Everything I have is Black Angus and got mine incident to a bull sale (sometimes they will sell these along with the bull sale).

rbaldwin87":2aj8b6f1 said:

Your area will help, add your location and we can go from there. :welcome:

Hello there y'all!

Just as the person above Arkansas posted I am new as well! Me and a friend have acquired land in South Arizona if you know the area specifically a town called Arivaca about 30 minutes or so past Tuscon. We have decided to jump into the cattle world.

We do own about 10 acres of property, five of which could definitely be used for pasture. We have decided on going for Angus specifically lowline.

Just wanted to get the input and any tips from more expire fed fellers like yourselves about what might we be in store for. Just to give another idea we are planning on selling beef cattle. Full grown lowline. That's what we have planned. Any tips and pointers are always welcomed.

Thanks again for your time and advice!
-ArizonaRanchers

Take a fistfull of money each, as much as you can grab and throw it down on some of that arizona dirt. Light it on fire and then head home. A lot less work than cattle, and achieves the same results.

Supa Dexta":31fwrsi0 said:
Take a fistfull of money each, as much as you can grab and throw it down on some of that arizona dirt. Light it on fire and then head home. A lot less work than cattle, and achieves the same results.

Thanks for the uhh...advice? Just trying to get some general pointers.

10 acres of Arizona is enough for about 1/4 of a cow, if it rains. Buy goats.

ArizonaRanchers":k9na6256 said:
Hello there y'all!

Just wanted to get the input and any tips from more expire fed fellers like yourselves about what might we be in store for. Just to give another idea we are planning on selling beef cattle. Full grown lowline. That's what we have planned. Any tips and pointers are always welcomed.

Thanks again for your time and advice!
-ArizonaRanchers

Unfortunately that's not much land for your area could try (MIRG) Managed intensive rotational grazing, but with that small amount I think about the only thing you could do is maybe raise something for the table. :frowns:
You will have to overlook some of the newer members they get worse and worse with every new account :cowboy:

My problem was, being a Small Time Operator (STO), I either had cows or hay but not both. If I was running hay I needed customers who fit in with my abilities. If I was running animals, I needed hay suppliers that fit in with my requirements. Never could get an even-steven.

Latest posts