Rainfall and Cattle Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt

Reaction score
I was reading a market report from a livestock auction in Northern California. The report said recent rains had increased demand and drove up sales prices. They have had a dry spell for a while and I guess got rain recently.

As an example, the prices for 600 to 650-pound steers was $135 to $171 per hundred weight. So a 650-pound steer that sold for $150 per hundred weight brought $975.

When the ground is watered and green grass is growing, people want to put cattle on their pasture.

It seems to be a good idea to pay attention to rainfall and grass growth to get the best price on cattle.

I am sure some of you are thinking, of course. :)

Not to start this conversation again, but that's one of the reasons I fall calve. People are hunting for calves for their pens when the grass starts growing and I always get a hefty premium.

angus9259":16y6ov6i said:
Not to start this conversation again, but that's one of the reasons I fall calve. People are hunting for calves for their pens when the grass starts growing and I always get a hefty premium.
I don't think anyone could dispute that. The rub might be the difficulty in having late fall calves and overwintering them and their mamma.