RAIN

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
It's hard to believe it's August here. We've had 11.4" of rain this month alone. Slowed me down on a lot of chores but I never complain about the moisture. Know what it's like to do without. I'll take this anytime over the heat and dry.

fitz

Wish we had some rain this month. We're real dry, the pond is down 8" and the hay field is burned up. Can't complain though because we made plenty of hay and did real well on the corn.

fitz":wqvth1sh said:
It's hard to believe it's August here. We've had 11.4" of rain this month alone. Slowed me down on a lot of chores but I never complain about the moisture. Know what it's like to do without. I'll take this anytime over the heat and dry.fitz

We've had a lot of rain in my area of KY as well, but I think some in KY have been dry.

I'm with you, I won't complain about rain, even if it keeps things idle for a few days. I'd much rather have water running out of the creek banks and some gravel roads washed out than hot, dry, crispy pastures and dried up water holes.

fitz, i came through your area Monday and back through Monday night. It rained everywhere there down to about the TN border but not a drop west of there where I am.

fitz":3vnsaeuu said:
It's hard to believe it's August here. We've had 11.4" of rain this month alone. Slowed me down on a lot of chores but I never complain about the moisture. Know what it's like to do without. I'll take this anytime over the heat and dry.

fitz

I couldn't agree with you more! This is the first summer, since the early 2000's, that I can recall, where the grass has stayed green this whole time and the creek still has running water in it!

Now if you go 12 miles from me, in a different direction, everything is brown and dried up.

But I will certainly take these cooler temps. I think it has helped my cows out with their calving, they're popping out calves left and right! :lol: :D

I don't have any grass in my area. All dried up and dead. I've had to start feeding already. It's a heck of a note when you pray for a hurricane just so you can get a little rain.

lavacarancher":38dqm9t8 said:
It's a heck of a note when you pray for a hurricane just so you can get a little rain.

I agree. I've been there a few times, its a bad place to be. I hope you have enough feed and that you get some rain soon.

lavacarancher":18cekwqh said:
I don't have any grass in my area. All dried up and dead. I've had to start feeding already. It's a heck of a note when you pray for a hurricane just so you can get a little rain.

I hate that for you. Pray you get a break soon. I know what it's like to start feeding in June.

fitz

June and July was bad here. July was terrible, seemed I could hold all the water in my hand that we got in July. August finally brought us some rain and greened us back up but not before we had to give the cattle 1 hay field. Now it is the hot humid weather and the darn horseflies that are the problem :frowns: .

We might have had a little over 2" August and July was dry as well. Had I not had another farm to move cows to I'd be feeding hay. Previous farm isn't regrowing crap though and hay feeding will come earlier than normal here unless it really turns on and starts some steady showers.

Latest posts