Rain!

Help Support CattleToday:

nap

Reaction score
This is incredible. Three days ago I thought I was going to have to put out hay because our pastures were burned to a crisp, and then it started raining and it hasn't stopped since. We have had over 7 inches and are expecting several more tonight and tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in August in Arkansas before. We have gone from fire danger to flooding in three days. I guess sometimes you need to be careful about what you wish for.

Bragging or complaining....?
We're in our seasonal drought and won't see rain until the end of Sept...lost pasture a few weeks ago and been feeding hay ever since. DMc

We are in Southwest Arkansas in the Mena area. For those of you that are old enough to remember Lum and Abner we live accross the Ouachita River from Pine Ridge, the place the boys called home.

I am in Hope and we just got five inches of rain in two days and it is still overcast. I believe all the rain water flowed into the cracks in the ground.

Rain, It is raining like the dickens here right now. Hope the pond will fill up and the cracks in the ground will come together. Thank you God. Tom :cboy:

Got a question for you folks that have seen it. Can you give a description of what it is or looks like? Something strange is going on around here. The sun went away and it's 2 pm not 9 pm., went outside to take a look and the trees seemed to be sweating big drops of some kind of fluid that was real cool. It seem like I have experienced this once before, but my memory is not what it used to be. Was just wondering if this could be or sounds like what we once knew as RAIN?.

Red Bull Breeder":1eutb9il said:
You no what they say Vette, if it walks like a duck quacks like a duck then it likely a duck. It is just possible it is raining on you.
Checked the guage, had 4/10ths in about 20 minutes. It's a start, best rain we have had in about 7 weeks.

Funny thing about rain.
Best way to describe it, "WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS"

Been used over and over, but, how true.

Hope it ain't over yet Vette. We have been dry for so many summers that i didn't think it was possible to have a wet one but this year has been great. I ain't even going to complain about the floods we had back in the spring.

Yep, came off a dry 2006 and went thru the wet spring of 2007, then things settled out to be comfortable till it started over. I sure was hoping 2008 would have been just an average year and get to coast a bit. The swing from one extreme to the other is beginning to wear my optimism down.

Got 1 1/4 inches last night/ this morning, most rain we had in a couple months. Still dry and need allot more rain, but sure nice to be out of the 100 degree days.

1982vett":11eq9wf9 said:
Yep, came off a dry 2006 and went thru the wet spring of 2007, then things settled out to be comfortable till it started over. I sure was hoping 2008 would have been just an average year and get to coast a bit. The swing from one extreme to the other is beginning to wear my optimism down.
Glad you got some rain vett. Its looking alot like 06 here. Next week will be 60 days with no measurable rain. Decided I will save the pastures and start feeding hay this week. Have enough hay to last to the end of March. I hope I don't have to feed hay that long though. If I do, it will be a real barn burner.And I may well throw in the towel. This dry weather could burn up resources real fast.

Bluestem":1pavpje0 said:
...Its looking alot like 06 here. Next week will be 60 days with no  measurable rain. Decided I will save the pastures and start feeding hay this week. Have enough hay to last to the end of March. I hope I don't have to feed hay that long though. If I do, it will be a real barn burner.And I may well throw in the towel. This dry weather could burn up resources real fast.
This makes 6/10ths for August and 1 1/2 since May 15th.  Still miffed by the tropical storm coverage.  Had more rain, wind, and lightning today than we did then. No severe storm and flash flood warnings today :lol: but I'll get over it.  In '06 we were dry and hot from July thru September,  this year we started in May so I'm hoping this is the turn to wetter  conditions.  I think '06 was dry all around, this year it is kind of spotty.  I have an 80 acre pasture 3 1/2 miles southeast of here that has had some nice showers over the last several weeks and the pasture is nice and green. Here it is different, I started feeding some hay over a month ago to stretch the pastures like you are going to do.  Been pretty much on full hay rations the last two weeks. Going thru about $245 worth of range meal, molassas tubs and mineral a week plus the hay.  Going to start feeling a squeeze, already culled pretty hard and weight gains are going to slow dramatically.  Cattle are still in good shape, keeping a close eye on that but at some point you have to stop the bleeding.

Latest posts