Rain!

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
Had some nice rain at our place over the past day or so. Over and inch at home and nearly two inches at one of our other blocks to the east of us.
Yards are a muddy mess,but what the heck,better than dust.
Show team all out in the dryer paddocks (which are just staring to get wet as well)
Still more rain forecast. Gullies and the river are just starting to run a bit. Theres a flood watch out for about 7 or 8 coastal rivers to our east. Hope nothing too bad happens down there. If it floods down there now they will have very little feed,especially if theres mud across the river flats.
Our cattle will do it a little tough as well when they start chasing the green pick,until the clover etc gets any height in it.
Supposed to turn cold about the weekend. Snow etc down the southern ranges.
Found a site with a layout similar to this one about the weather,called stormchasers.com.au. Its very interesting to look back at the older posts on the board to see that a few of the avid weather watchers predicted the snow that fell across the ranges this time last week.
I'll try and keep dry.
Colin

Move to Texas and you can stay dry!!!

I'm going to have to start feeding hay next week if we don't get some rain, and they are not predicting any.

Angus Guy":rfw9z8d0 said:
Rain???? Somebody explain this what this and what it does for you.

Rain and soil are two terms I'm not familiar with!
It was so hot yesterday that I saw a coyote chasing a rabbit and they were both walking!

dun

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this subject we don't say the R word here in the Pacific Northwest. I decided I needed to water my garden on Saturday afternoon because it was warm and sunny. As a direct result of my watering it rained on Sunday and Monday, there was a light sprinkle on Tuesday, and a little mist on my wind shield this morning. The pastures look great but nobody has put up any dry hay yet this year. It has even been difficult to get enough wilt to put up haylage.
Dave

It needs to rain soon....I'm getting tired of pulling these cows out of the cracks in the ground. We have had 1 in in three months. The grass is so far gone now I don't know if it will come back.

J Baxter":2acjutoj said:
It needs to rain soon....I'm getting tired of pulling these cows out of the cracks in the ground. We have had 1 in in three months. The grass is so far gone now I don't know if it will come back.

Be careful what you wish for. It has been pretty wet here all year. There have been a few places near here that received 10-12 inches in a shot. Sunday night we got 3" that we didn't really need and they are calling for another 4-6" in the next day and a half. Hope my cows know how to swim. Good Luck.

Speaking of rain-I'm on here at work on my lunch break-it's raining buckets. I live 22 miles from work. Please let it be raining like this at home. please, please.....

I really wish I could send yall some that we're getting. On day last week we had 4" in an hour and a half. Rained every day since. Mowed yesterday and had to declare my property a no-wake zone.

Chris

We've had two little showers in the last two days. Sun comes out and dries it right up. I saw a rabbit crossing a field yesterday carrying a sack lunch.

Sorry guys can't type worth a dang. But the talk of whatever it is that some of are having to much of gets me all excited. Did see 2 of my cows jump across the ravines in the pasture :lol:

the weather fibbers said 30 % chance here friday night and sat. mornin...i sure am keeping my fingers crossed...i can see my tracks in the grass from when we rode the 4 wheeler down in the pasture 3 days ago.

Still misty rain at our place. Floodgates on the river have gone.
3,000 people have been evacuated so far from Lismore city which is to our east (about 100 miles) Reports some people have had in excess of 32 inches over the past four days.
Just measured our rain at one of our blocks about 4 klms north of us,tipped out 5.5 inches for the past 4 days. Our dams are still only a third to half full.

Colin

All the folk that were in the floods fared OK. The water never got over the new levee bank in Lismore city. The new levee was only completed a month before and cost 19 million dollars.
There have been a few whingers about it because it pushed more water into other areas. These complaints go wherever new levees are built. The whingers if they realised that the city council will now not have to spend the usual money to clean up the CBD (the area that gained most of the levee benefit) Those resources can now be spent to help those that were not protected by the levee.

Our country has been greatly transformed since the rain,grass is still short but thats winter.

Colin

Latest posts