Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
If it doesn't rain here quick calfs are going to have to walk to the creek for water to go with the powder milk. It was 100 here today in May we are about two weeks away from hay and grass trouble.

Sorry to hear that your area is in trouble. We've been blessed with a near perfect combination of sun and rain here. It's been raining about once a week, kind of off and on for a day or two, totaling an inch or two each time. It has been in the high eighties and low nineties. The humidity has been intense. At this rate, it should be another great hay year around here. My lease is getting so far ahead of the cows that are over there that I am considering haying it! The small pasture behind the house looks like a manicured lawn with cow patties, as it is mostly bermuda and the weather has been too cool for it to really come on yet, so those over here are keeping it down short.

Sorry bout the weather there Bruno its been cold here for a whole but the temp is getting up now we dont have our cows on pasture yet its still too early. the grass needs a little time to grow and then they can go out.

Curious question. Where are you that the temp is 100 degree. sounds like south Texas??

We have had it really dry!! They keep threating rain but nothing serious yet. Maybe tonight. We do have lots of grass now but if it doesn't rain that may be short lived. We are in Southwest Missouri.

We're doing good to hit 70 during the day still lower 40's at night. Hay isn't growing too well but the wheat sure likes this weather.
We are a little wet here Caustic. I'll try to ship some out to ya. Might only be able to get the morning dew shipped right now. Will that hold ya over for a couple weeks??????

susiq":3qucv9qg said:
Curious question. Where are you that the temp is 100 degree. sounds like south Texas??

We have had it really dry!! They keep threating rain but nothing serious yet. Maybe tonight. We do have lots of grass now but if it doesn't rain that may be short lived. We are in Southwest Missouri.

Deep East Texas

It has been in the 80's for the most part here and 50's to 60's at night. Well I guess I know Texas weather. I was born and raised around Houston-Galveston area.

We are still waiting for a decent fall of rain,had a biggish frost here this morning.
Down to minus three celcius in our little town nearby,would have been about minus one here at home.
Some parts of our country are in dire straits and winter hasn't hit yet. Water levels in most our major citie's dams are down to 30%.
There is one place in our state that have full dams and that is right on the coast in one small area.
Colin

Pastures around here are beginning to dry up. Some folks are wondering if they will have to feed hay early this year.

That's about the way it is in my neck of the woods CB. The temps. have been around 96 and 97 degrees around here lately. Although the moisture situation isn't quite critical just yet, a lot of row crop guys and cattlemen are really in need of a good soaking. I agree with you that if no relief comes within 2 weeks it is going to get pretty bad. Even as much as cotton "likes" these hot days it will need a good drink real soon. I have a few round bales left over from last winter and I've got a bad feeling that I'll need to use them (and more) this summer. Maybe this will prompt me to get my butt in high gear and finally cull some of the older gals that have seen their better days.

I just stocked some channel cats, hybrid bluegills and fatheads minnows on 5/11/05 and from the looks of all the tracks in the mud of the rapidly vanishing tank I'm almost afraid that all I did was provide a free and easy banquet for the various herons, coots and mexican squeeler ducks (black bellied whistler ducks).

It's dry here too. It was 96 degrees yesterday. We got lucky enough to get between 3 and 4 inches during the last thunderstorms a few weeks ago but it didn't last long. I'm afraid we may go Mr. Ziffle's route and have an excuse to cull out a few. The long range forecast calls for 60% percent chance of rain Sunday (for what that's worth :roll: ).

I had some Hay left over good thing had to start feeding the cows again. had pasture fertilized 4 weeks ago and have not had a drop pf rain :(

We feel for you folks. We've been blessed with almost a perfect spring. Hay is mid-thigh high with calf high clover. Now if we can just get some open windows of 80o an sun....maybe we can get it in. :roll:

Another record breaking high temp. today. Oh how I wish it would rain.