Rain Rain Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Except for an inch of rain from Cindy last week, it's been VERY dry here in central VA....we've been feeding hay...more rain would be welcome, that's for sure.....but don't want to encourage the wrath of Dennis.

We are getting spotty rain here in Tennessee. It's greening up nicely. We haven't had it nearly as bad as some of the people on the board. It never got real bad here. We hear we will see Dennis get as far north as Graceland. Never had a tropical storm go that far north before they say.

Good heavens, I wish I could send some rain to ya'll. Here in SW Fla were about 18 inches above normal. We've got to splash about the property to get to the barn or even to the truck....Dennis added about 9 more inches to the mess, but thank heavens that we only got the edges of him...I lost my house, barn and trailer to Hurricane Charlie last year and so can really feel for those folks who are getting hit by Dennis right now.

Worst drought I've ever been through. The end of May here looked more like the end of August. Our county is one of like 3 or 4 in the state under the most extreme drought conditions. This years hay yield off my place was only 1/3 of last years. Thankfully areas around us have not been hit so hard so hay prices are not bad at all. I had to buy hay this year. Got friends and neighbors that have sold off up to 3/4 of their herds.

Thanks to living in the boonies our closest sale barn only has a few big time buyers and they are taking advantage of the situation and our prices are dropping big time.

Fescue is dormant now so even if it does rain it will just help the weeds to grow.

Praying for an early, cool, and wet fall around here.

J

Wish I could send some rain to ya'll too we have gotten alot of rain today from dennis no serious damage thank the Lord! Just a couple of trees blown down in the yard and some tin gone off the barn but that is it so far and hope that is all!!!

Up here in the north west we have been getting a day of rain every week, it usually stops now until October....should have a great alfalfa crop this year, the frist cut hasn't been turned or bailed yet in some fields. Looking dry this next week should get some work done.

PLEASE send Dennis into central IL. Been feeding hay for 2 weeks. Pastures are so dry they crunch when you walk across them. The other day I poured a 5 gallon bucket of water down a crack and never heard it hit bottom.

We got less then an inch of rain and a lot of high winds. Lots of trees down and power down part of the weekend. We cut 2 fields of hay down on Saturday of course, and was going to bale in on Sunday, but with the inch of rain we will probably wait until tonight or tomorrow to bale it. I would have loved to get some more rain and scraped the hay.

We were really dry until Cindy sent us 3 inches.. I almost got my tractor stuck driving between two corn fields.. forgot what mud looked like.

i got .3 of an inch sat. first rain in about 5 weeks..

jt

dry - very dry. We've had 1/4 inch in the last 3 months. Farmer's Almanac is predicting drought through September.

Last year was the wettest on record. We actually got 17 inches in 8 hours last May!

Last night before I went to bed, no rain. Then when I woke up this morning, I have 1.20" showing on the rain gauge. It is a nice slow soaking rain. I am afraid that the corn crops will be hurting this year. A lot of the ears are just beginning to fill. Looks like they might fill out half way up. The silk is still green. The lower leaves are already starting to dry up like it is near the end of the season.
The sileage crop that we planted on hills looks very stunted from lack of rain. In the low areas, it is holding on. I think the rain will pull the lower planted areas out OK. Too many days without water.
The pastures were beginning to go dormant.
Of course the cotton is loving this weather. It loves the heat.

have cows will trade for rain.
this is as dry as i or anyone else around central arkansas has ever seen it. I have been feeding hay for a while. less than 2 inches of rain all summer in 3 short rains about 6 weeks apart. today the rain stoped about 10 miles from the farm. dennis brought these parts about 2-3 inches. It hit my rain wall that keeps rain from entering my property.

It dinally rained for 6 hours yesterday afternmoon and evening, got a whopping 3 one hundreths of an inch

dun

Latest posts