R.I.P.....

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly, rather true.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who
has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was,
since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend
more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children,
are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy
charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens
suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher
fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the
job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly
children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental
consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could
not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have
an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses;
and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a
burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in
her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust,
by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his
son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If
you still remember him, pass this on.

If not, join the majority and do nothing

The high school my teenage daughter goes to passed a new rule this yr concerning homework
it has the teachers all pi$$ed off

the rule is the teacher cannot deduct points for you turning your homework in late
now IMO as well as mot of the teachers this is a load of ******** if there ever was one they are now teaching kids that you can do you work whenever you want and a deadline doesn't mean anything
sure doesn't teach them how to manage time

alot of kids awake 2 hours before school to chore and prepare for the day.then ride the bus an hour to school,attend an 8 hour day,and another hour bus ride home.many have chores or a ballgame afterwards.

put this schuedule with a child who's parents are working late or has a 10-15 hour job in this corporate world.or---whose parent has terminal cancer or is disabled and comon sense will tell you your child needs counceling to carry his/her 80 pound back-pack.

if my child is up to mid-nite manageing her homework,I phone the teacher to ask for help.and explain the circumstances.seems some teachers don't use common sense when assigning homework in my humble opinion.thanks for letting me rant

balestabber":36i9lwg8 said:
alot of kids awake 2 hours before school to chore and prepare for the day.then ride the bus an hour to school,attend an 8 hour day,and another hour bus ride home.many have chores or a ballgame afterwards.

put this schuedule with a child who's parents are working late or has a 10-15 hour job in this corporate world.or---whose parent has terminal cancer or is disabled and comon sense will tell you your child needs counceling to carry his/her 80 pound back-pack.

if my child is up to mid-nite manageing her homework,I phone the teacher to ask for help.and explain the circumstances.seems some teachers don't use common sense when assigning homework in my humble opinion.thanks for letting me rant
IMO opinion sports don't come before an education and I personally beleive that sports should be cut back in schools and less emphasis placed upon it and more on their education curriculum and yes My daughters does participate in sports
there are special circumstances where a student may need more time but not on an everyday basis

I didn't get it when I was in school and I done chores and worked full time and I made good grades ( B average )and could of made better if I would have applied myself to school instead of other distractions
The parents are causing the schools systems to be too dang nice to the kids and as the original post implies have thrown COMMON SENSE out the window
majority ofkids nowadays don't know how to work or to accomplish much of anything
there is a few exceptions
as for my daughter participating in sports if she gets any grade below a B on any paper or test the sports are withheld
I guess I am a harda$$

Angus Cowman":2r0q8gb6 said:
... majority ofkids nowadays don't know how to work or to accomplish much of anything
there is a few exceptions
as for my daughter participating in sports if she gets any grade below a B on any paper or test the sports are withheld
I guess I am a harda$$
Your daughter is one of the lucky ones. She will be one of the adults that know how to not only succeed, but to excel in a 'life's not fair' world!

AC,i wasn't blasting you.there's some good parents out there.i was ranting more on the homework issue.my father was partially disabled and my wife is disabled after years of being a team leader in the corporate world.a hard worker,she will never be able to work again,then advised to get things in order.

i see your point,and don't believe your to hard on your kids,but after the hardships i have seen with my father and wife i try not to push my kids as hard.to set some limits,life is to short.

Angus Cowman":14cdltyg said:
IMO opinion sports don't come before an education
Well said, not that I am saying sport is not important but first things first.

If you think about most things in the world we live in, time is a major factor. If you can't meet deadlines you are just not going to make it. That discipline should be taught at an early age and one of the ways of instilling it is by way of homework deadlines. I am by no means advocating Hitler style methods but there is nothing wrong with a bit of discipline.

I agree that discpline of getting work turned in on time is important. When I was in school I had work to do before and after school. But that didn't stop me getting homework in on time.
Seems like most of the homework was math. I would usually just copy the work from one of the girls on the bus on the way to school. Worked out pretty well. ;-)

Latest posts