R.I.P. Merle

Help Support CattleToday:

Country music legend Merle Haggard, who was known for hits like "Okie From Muskogee" and "Mama Tried," died on his 79th birthday.

Haggard's manager, Frank Mull, said the country icon died in Palo Cedro, California, of pneumonia that he had been battling for months. He had kept up an ambitious touring schedule, but the pneumonia in both lungs had forced him to cancel several shows this year.

Born outside of Bakersfield, California, in 1937, Haggard, the son of Oklahoma migrants, was raised in a converted railway boxcar, the only home his family could afford. Famous for his prison stint in San Quentin, Haggard said music was his only opportunity out of poverty.

"My decisions have been easy," he told the Associated Press in 2014. "It was either back in the cotton patch or go to work in the oil fields. ... They didn't compare with music. I was able to make more money in a beer joint when I first started than I was digging ditches."

The gruff, baritone-voiced singer became known for his classic tunes about drifters, convicts and blue collar workers, including "Workin' Man Blues." His tunes celebrated outlaws, underdogs and had an abiding sense of national pride. But he said back in 2014 that after writing some 700 songs, it's hard to find a subject he hasn't written about yet.

Saw his picture on the internet. He got old! Wow!

Always liked his songs. Used to laugh at Okie from Musckogee. Lots of truths.

His death was announced at our local livestock sale today. I did not realize he was that old. I hope he says hello to Marty Robbins. Seventy- nine is not that old anymore. I am not too far from it myself. Hard to believe. Time is going on by.

Another great one that is gone. Sad for us, but he is in a better place! And, hanging out with the above mentioned stars and singing!

I've liked him for a long time, though I don't know all that much of his stuff, I know I like what I've heard, and he is no doubt a legend and has been very influential.

While he's up there he can say hello to Hoyt Axton for me, he was from 1938 to 1999.. Like a lot of his music as well.. Woodie Guthrie, Leadbelly, and John Hurt are also a bunch that I've enjoyed greatly

He'll never swim Kern River again, but man, what a catalogue. I've got his box set, and it's unbelievable at the number of good songs he wrote.

He doesn't get much credit for his voice, but I think he's one of the best country voices ever. Not too bad of a picker either, and in his heyday when Tiny and Roy were touring with him, his band was second to none.

He does have a bunch of great ones. Only real country station left around here played him all afternoon, not many artists you could do that with and all be chart topers.

Saw him at a Willie picnic deal along with Ray Price, David Allen Coe, Kris Kristopherson, and of course Willie. Heard a lot of good music that day.

Just don't start humming David Allen Coe in church!

I like Kristopherson as well.. Highwaymen was a good collection of exceptional musicians.. as well as Travelling Wilburys

We've still got Willie. Saw him last year and he was still great. THAT will be a sad day in my whole family.

08MERLEJP-blog427.jpg

08MERLE-master675.jpg