Quonset Hut Buildings

Help Support CattleToday:

klm3030

Reaction score
This has probably been kicked around before but I am thinking about building a general purpose machine shed around 40'X60'X14' and was wondering about a Quonset hut type. What are the drawbacks to this design, are they really cheaper in the long run. The military seems to like them. Any recommendations for company to work with?
Anybody have any experiences with https://www.americansteelspan.com

I have a 40 x 30 Steel Master. They have no inside supports, can withstand about any winds, low maintenance, last a lifetime, compete well on price basis.

I am very pleased with mine.

Friend of mine ordered one and built his self. He loves the building but says he would never put one together again he would hire it out.

pricefarm said:
Friend of mine ordered one and built his self. He loves the building but says he would never put one together again he would hire it out.

He got that right. There are 10 million bolts in those things.

Bright Raven said:
pricefarm said:

He got that right. There are 10 million bolts in those things.

Yep that's what he said

Thought about this, and discussed it with a dealer at the tulsa farm show. My question is without studs and rafters , etc, How is everyone attaching lights, workbenches, etc, and are you spray foaming insulation?

Neighbor had a pretty good size one for storing hay, open on both ends. A few years ago we had a pretty wicked storm roll through, blew it off the foundation, wadded it up, and carried it off quite a ways.

Can't say for sure if a regular building would've held up better, the other buildings 100 yards away were undamaged, but tornadoes are funny like that.

When I priced them out the building was cheaper but when you added in the cost of the concrete foundation work needed to anchor them in place and knee walls so you can use the space close to the walls the price was equal to a typical pole building around here.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
When I priced them out the building was cheaper but when you added in the cost of the concrete foundation work needed to anchor them in place and knee walls so you can use the space close to the walls the price was equal to a typical pole building around here.

Mine is anchored in a poured footer. The design calls for a footer with a "gutter" dimensional to the arched sheets of metal. Then the ends of the arched sheets are grouted into the gutter and anchored with bolts inserted into the grout. It is expensive and takes a very good concrete contractor to get it correct.

But if anchored properly, they withstand more wind than any other structure that the United States Armed Services has tested.

had one for almost 40 yrs Bright Raven is dead on .We did ours concrete to insulation ,a lot will depend on what you use it for i would not leave both ends wide open but would (an wish i had ) put doors on both ends mine 32x50
if storage is what you want put in recommended roof vents it will stay dry inside
get 4 people an you can put one up in week ,get plenty battery pack for cordless impacts(wish we would have had those when i did mine)
worked of top combine for tall stuff made nice platform

Latest posts