Quick question

Help Support CattleToday:

rosiegoat

Reaction score
This happened 10 years ago, but bear with me & tell me what you think....

We had 2 holestein steers about 7-8 months old. Both on the same pasture, grain (16% dairy), and hay (regular grass hay).
Both were cauterized when newborns with caustic paste on the horn buds.

Ok, one starts walking tight circles, bawling non-stop. You can't even lead him, he's out of it. We manage to get him into the barn, when he goes down. He dies about 15-20 minutes later. Kicking & thrashing, bawling the whole time. Really bad. From start to finish, this lasted around 1 hour. He was stiff instantly after death. Had a heck of a time getting him out of the barn. We had the vet called, but he arrived too late. He did necropsy the head & internal organs, found nothing abnormal. So we buried him.

Other calf grows out to 18 months old & was butchered.

What do you think could have happened? No obvious injuries to him.. The other calf was fine. Dh blames the caustic paste, but heck, that was 7-8 months prior.

Thanks

My guess is that he ate locol weed or some other toxic plant. It seems I heard about these symptoms before, but I can't recall exactly what it was.

rosiegoat":1t5okgfi said:

We had 2 holestein steers about 7-8 months old. Both on the same pasture, grain (16% dairy), and hay (regular grass hay).

Ok, one starts walking tight circles, bawling non-stop. You can't even lead him, he's out of it. We manage to get him into the barn, when he goes down. He dies about 15-20 minutes later. Kicking & thrashing, bawling the whole time. Really bad. From start to finish, this lasted around 1 hour. He was stiff instantly after death. Had a heck of a time getting him out of the barn. We had the vet called, but he arrived too late. He did necropsy the head & internal organs, found nothing abnormal. So we buried him.

What do you think could have happened? No obvious injuries to him.. The other calf was fine. Dh blames the caustic paste, but heck, that was 7-8 months prior.

We had that happen one time. A cattle friend told us it was probably white muscle from not getting enough sun light. He said to give it a Muse shot to every calf that is born and it shouldn't get it. If you see a calf acting that way he said to give it a shot of Muse and it should stop it. And it does because our neighbors had a calf get white muscle, we gave it a shot and it stopped. The calf was up walking again.
Thanks

L Weir":1p2dpvs4 said:
We had that happen one time. A cattle friend told us it was probably white muscle from not getting enough sun light.

White muscle disease is caused by a lack of selenium.

It is rare for a vit. E deficiency to occur, but when it does, the signs are similar to those shown for a deficiency of selenium,..example, white muscle disease. Vit. E is associated with selenium in that availability of one is sparing of the other.

msscamp":qbunx3yi said:
L Weir":qbunx3yi said:
We had that happen one time. A cattle friend told us it was probably white muscle from not getting enough sun light.

This is correct. And Pa is SE deficient. MuSe & BoSe is a SE supplement. All newborns should receive a shot, and all cattle should get SE in a mineral supplement year round.
This does NOT sound like SE deficiency (white muscle). There is a disease called "Circling Disease" - not sure what it is.
Doesn't Grass Tetany respond this way???
Anyway, I can pretty much assure you that the paste DID NOT DO THIS!!!

L Weir":1xg5ewti said:
rosiegoat":1xg5ewti said:

We had that happen one time. A cattle friend told us it was probably white muscle from not getting enough sun light. He said to give it a Muse shot to every calf that is born and it shouldn't get it. If you see a calf acting that way he said to give it a shot of Muse and it should stop it. And it does because our neighbors had a calf get white muscle, we gave it a shot and it stopped. The calf was up walking again.
Thanks
Just curious, but what has sunlight got to do with white muscle disease? I thought sunlight had something to do with vit. D not vit. E or selenium.

msscamp":3ksr73lz said:
L Weir":3ksr73lz said:

I know white muscle is caused by lack of selenium. But cattle friend also said that lack of sunlight can sometimes cause it as well. I am just going by what someone else told me.

L Weir":1bvpk3b0 said:
msscamp":1bvpk3b0 said:
L Weir":1bvpk3b0 said:

I know white muscle is caused by lack of selenium. But cattle friend also said that lack of sunlight can sometimes cause it as well. I am just going by what someone else told me.
I think your friend is confused :shock:

I have lost cattle with cicling desease long time ago. I'm trying to remember but I think mold in corn silage was the culprit.

Latest posts