Quick ?/Gimp cow

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
Try to make this quick and easy..

Last Thursday had a heifer die trying to deliver..lost both (should have never kept her in the first place..whole other story).

My mother-n-law calls me, I run over there (about an hour) and Vet was there and nothing we could do.

So I dig a whole the best I can with a front end loader and as I am dragging her thru the pasture all the other cows start going crazy, sniffing, snorting, jumping around...you get the picture.

Well on late Friday afternoon my wife notices one of the cows gimp..one of the ones going crazy. Saturday morning she is not better so we get her into the pens and take to the vet. Vet watches her walk and gets her into the chute..bottom line he said that nothing appeared to be wrong with hip, hock or hoof and that he could "feel some heat" along her back, prob 12 inches from her tail. Gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and said to keep her in the pens for a couple of days. Sunday about noon I go to feed her and she appears to be moving a lot better. Wife goes out today around 2:00 and she looks pretty good. Lets her and the calf out..

Well wife just calls and she acts like she does not want to move...not with the herd and her calf is with the heard.

Thoughts??

Cannot/don't want to loose another.. Get her back to the pens if we can? Rendering plant takes cattle Tuesday morning...which is better than her not being able to get up.. and I doubt she could go thru the sale barn.

Assuming she is up and moving will call vet again.

I would just keep an eye on her. As long as she's not down I would wait out the withdrawal time then ship her.

M5farm":30yjcewl said:
I would just keep an eye on her. As long as she's not down I would wait out the withdrawal time then ship her.

Thanks.. The Vet told me that what he gave her we would not have to wait before shipping her.

We had one that got hurt by another cow. She left the herd and stayed by herself for over a month. She never got down. She could graze and get to the pond to get water. Then after she got better, she rejoined the herd and stays with them now. She still has a limp.As soon as her calf gets big enough, she will be shipped.

I am the odd ball. I don't "ship them." I give them antiinflamatories if they need it, and give them some time to heal up. Pulled or strained muscles can take awhile.
It just depends on how you feel about the cow. Each one of mine are important to me, (and the top of my genetics) so I am not so quick to get rid of them and I give them a fair chance to heal up first.

The cow that I have with a limp is one of my mother's oldest cows. I don't want to take a chance on her getting down and not be able to get up. If she were younger, I would give her a chance to continue to heal. I know it is time for her to go along with several more of her old cows.
When I took her cows over two years ago, the man that had taken care of them since my daddy died, sold our replacement heifers after we told him not to. One got away. She has made a fine cow and has great calves. I was left with a lot of old cows that I am having to replace. It has not been easy. We had fine black angus cows that Daddy had raised, but they are too old now. I have had to start over.

Thanks for the responses..

Wife just called and got her and calf in the pen this morning..still struggling but maybe not as bad as last night. Will keep her there to at least Friday and check.

She is a purebred Simbrah and has has her third calf now and is 60 days bred...she is young and having a calf every 11.5 months and don't want to loose her.

The use of steroid injections buys you about 72 hours before the inflammatory response returns in the presence of a major joint injury. A physical examination will not reveal the true extent of such injuries only dislocations and major fractures. When its a heifer or dam with questionable injury to the pelvic area process them post haste and save yourself the vet bill. At least you got one more calf out of her. Otherwise you would run the risk of her remaining open next year and if not that possibly having difficulty birthing. Both considerations could cost you more time and $$ than you have available for your operation.

Rodwick, good point about possible calving problem..

Will see how she is on Friday and go from there. Was already planning on taking her calf to the sale barn to take that pressure off of her.

Latest posts