Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have a cow that is about 3 1/2 yrs. old. She weighed 972 lbs. on 9/15/12. She has had a heifer calf and a bull calf. I sold the heifer calf last year. The bull calf was born on 8/2/12 and weighed 62 lbs. I had her AI'd on 9/15/12 and she took. Today I took the bull calf to the vet. He was cut and given all his shots. He weighs 449 lbs. She is the smallest cow that I have but from what I have read on the forum, it is not about the size of the cow but the size of the calf at weaning. I am taking the steer to the sale on Wednesday.

My questions are:
1 - Would you guys consider her a keeper and did she raise a big enough calf?
2 - Would you keep her heifer calves?
3 - Would you take the steer calf in or should I let him heal for a week or two?

Thanks for your help, Phil

1 Yes and Yes
2 Yes
3 I would wait until it is healed.

The calf is not so old, he needs to be 50% of his mothers weight (or so) at 200 days. That means he has to grow another 47 pounds and has another 37 days to do it. He will manage that!

ANAZAZI":1zm49a1l said:
1 Yes and Yes
2 Yes
3 I would wait until it is healed.

The calf is not so old, he needs to be 50% of his mothers weight (or so) at 200 days. That means he has to grow another 47 pounds and has another 37 days to do it. He will manage that!
Yep

Depends on what breed she is and what are your input costs are for her, but she seems to be very fertile and I agree with the others on the growth rate. I don't know the answer to the 3rd question. I band as quick as possible. I am curious about the responses to that.

Phil,

Re:

The bull calf was born on 8/2/12 and weighed 62 lbs.
What breed is momma and daddy ?
If one of my Black Angus cows produced a 62 lb calf and the bull usually produces a 70 - 80 lb calf, she would get wheels under her.

Re:
"1 - Would you guys consider her a keeper and did she raise a big enough calf?"
If she is a Herford, maybe, a black angus no.

"2 - Would you keep her heifer calves?"
Again it depends on the breed.

3 - "Would you take the steer calf in or should I let him heal for a week or two?"
I would give him at least 30 days to heal and regain his weight lost from the trauma/stress of castration as he may loose up to 10% of his body weight just from the castration and shot alone.
I would also wean him during this same time, that way you would be producing exactly what buyers want.
A weaned healed/healthy steer.
SL

For me, yes...she's a keeper, yes the calf is growing well so far.
As for keeping heifers? Maybe, it would depend on what bull is the daddy, how she grows out etc. And for hauling him to the sale, I'd wait for him to heal up first.

Katherine

Calf is a little small but not bad for a fall calver
I would think where you are located you would want a little bigger cow
That cow is better suited for my area
What about the bull he is out of ?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Anazazi - 50% of his mothers weight (or so) at 200 days. Thank you!

I answered an ad that said two black angus heifers - $1.00 per pound. I bought them both and loaded them up. As I was getting ready to leave the daddy showed up and I remember thinking - OH NO! He was small with no muscles. If I had seen him first, I would of never bought the heifers. One of the two would not breed so she ended up in the freezer. The other was bred first time to an angus bull and the second time we had her AI'd to a lwb angus bull. The steer was from the AI'd black angus bull. As far as input cost, I have not really put a pencil to it, I just try and get them what they need. The first hay I bought this year I had tested and it was not very good. So I bought some from another person with the same results. I have always given them 20% cubes in the evenings. I know I am putting in more than I am getting out but I enjoy these cows. My wife says I do not have a smoking, drug, drinking or gambling problem, I have a cow problem! It does feel good knowing the money from this steer will buy the next round of cubes. Thanks, Phil

Sir Loin":19gsh9f8 said:
What breed is momma and daddy ?
If one of my Black Angus cows produced a 62 lb calf and the bull usually produces a 70 - 80 lb calf, she would get wheels under her.

"1 - Would you guys consider her a keeper and did she raise a big enough calf?"
If she is a Herford, maybe, a black angus no.

"2 - Would you keep her heifer calves?"
Again it depends on the breed.

This poster may not be worth it; but I want to clarify in any case, there is basically no difference in performance between hereford and angus, the lion share of breed difference is in the colour.
Second, a low birth weight is no minus; it is almost irrelevant, one does not sell birth weight. As long as weaning weight is fine, who cares?
(And yes, there is a weak correspondence between low birth weights and lower growth, that is noticeable on breed level, but tells nothing about the individual performance.)