questions about sale catalogs for a research project?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ian

Reaction score
I see a lot of sale catalogs posted online, and I'm curious about the different types of sales. So far I've seen "production sales," "replacement sales" and "dispersal sales." There are probably more types ... can you name and describe some?

I can tell that a whole herd is up for sale at a dispersal sale. Does that only happen on a ranch that's shuttering down? When do you decide to sell an entire herd?

Production and replacement sales both seem to be a source of momma cows, maybe a bull or shares of a bull, for a cow & calf operation. What are some differences between production and replacement sales?

I really appreciate any answers you all care to share. I'm no rancher, obviously, I'm just starting to do some research on cattle economics and marketing in the US. Thank you very much!

You pretty much got it figured out. A dispersal sale "usually" means someone is closing down. I have seen a couple that have a dispersal every couple of years.

A production sale is usually one or a couple of ranches going together to sell some young breeding stock (cow-calf pairs, bred heifers and bulls). It is usually a purebred sale.

A replacement sale is usually commercial female sale - open heifers, bred heifers, bred cows and pairs.

Thanks, BC, for elaborating. I guess that purebred element explains the 5 digit figures I see on the sale reports for those production sales!