Question???

Help Support CattleToday:

hrbelgians

Reaction score
I have two water tanks for my cows 1 being Rubbermaid the other Galvanized.The question is why does my herd always prefer the water in the rubbermaid over metal??
It might not even matter, however just curios!
Any ideas? :roll:

Why do cows prefer water out of muddy foot prints instead of the clean water that's right next to them?
With thre metal tank there may be some kind of a galvanic action or metallic flavor. Probably it boils down to "their cows".

My cows seem to prefer water that has pee in it :D

And on a little more serious note....

Remember drinking a coke from a steel can? If you do, think about the switch to aluminum or plastic. The drink from the steel can always left a "metal" type taste in your mouth.

Even today, you can taste the difference between a coke in aluminum and plastic. Seems that the metal imparts a taste to the liquid. Perhaps the cows taste it too? (or perhaps not?)

grannysoo":3yestonl said:
My cows seem to prefer water that has pee in it :D

And on a little more serious note....

Remember drinking a coke from a steel can? If you do, think about the switch to aluminum or plastic. The drink from the steel can always left a "metal" type taste in your mouth.

Ev >
  • today,ste the diffenerenc you can tae between a coke in aluminum and plastic.<
Seems that the metal imparts a taste to the liquid. Perhaps the cows taste it too? (or perhaps not?)
thats true.. i like mountain dew in the old glass bottles. plastic is second... can't drink em in the aluminum can..... i wonder aside from that could it be the color of the tanks?

Any chance the metal tank is near an electric fence and maybe getting a light charge. Cattle with 4 feet on the ground would feel a charge that you and I in leather or rubber boots might not feel.

Phil

Hey guys,
Thanks for the interesting thoughts!!!

Also Phil,
No it is not close to a charger or anything that carries a charge. However very interesting idea!!

That's good that an electric fence is not near, but I have seen posts on these boards about electricity bleeding from grounds on light poles,barns or houses and maybe even travel down pipe fences or even regular fences to give just enough charge to rattle the cattle. But as Dun said "it may just be the cows".

Phil

just go plastic

Phil in Tupelo":vdgfzu4d said:
That's good that an electric fence is not near, but I have seen posts on these boards about electricity bleeding from grounds on light poles,barns or houses and maybe even travel down pipe fences or even regular fences to give just enough charge to rattle the cattle. But as Dun said "it may just be the cows".

Phil

OhioRiver":1yo8flj3 said:
just go plastic

Phil in Tupelo":1yo8flj3 said:

Phil

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Latest posts