Question on timing

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
I got a cow that I first noticed standing at 2:30 p.m..
would it be okay to breed her this evening.
What time intervals would be best?

If she "just" started standing at 2:30 you would probably want to breed her in the early AM. If you are in doubt, and there is a chance she started earlier, I would breed late this evening. If by chance she is still standing in the AM, I would breed again.
That is me, others may do it differently. I try to breed about 14 hours after they begin standing.

2 am probably not practical, if you can pen her and breed her right before bed maybe 9 or so would work. I have had those kind and breed them at dark and first thing in the morning if the semen isnt to expensive.

It is possible she was standing earlier so I Went ahead and bred her around seven. The weather here is supposed to Be bad tomorrow. If she stays open, I"ll have to do it again on her next cycle.

When I breed them "early" like you just did I have had the same success as waiting till the next morning. I take all the care I can to insure that I have optimum live semen. In this weather preheating the rod and then putting it down in my shirt next to my chest is a must do. In the summer protect it from the heat and direct sunlight. Just some things I've learned in the past 40 years.

To me I would breed her later that day. I try to follow the 12 hr rule. Breed 12 he's after they start standing. But just depends on what that 12 hr time is. I think u will be fine. Good luck!

Latest posts