Question on drug regulations?

Help Support CattleToday:

CountryChic

Reaction score
I was recently involved in an online convo about drug usage in horses, when someone brought up the topic of drug regulations in cattle intended for slaughter. They claim they have treated cattle with bute and other drugs which, from what I have read, seems to be banned in animals intended for food. They claim they never were required to fill out appropriate paperwork, and that there is no way to track a food animals drug history.

As someone who is not involved in the cattle industry in any way, I have no idea whether this is true or not, though I really have a hard time believing it. So I guess my question is are there any regulations or procedures to ensure these drugs don't get used in food cattle? (Sorry, I don't even know if I'm using the appropriate terms). Isn't there anything set in place by the USDA/FDA to prevent this? Again, sorry for the lenghty questions, but this debate has piqued my curiosity :)

chippie":3lbxwkpn said:
yes there are regulations and testing is done to determine that the meat does not contain prohibited drugs.

Thanks chippie, I figured as much. Thought I would ask ppl who would know rather than speculate :)

Greg, I asked in all honest sincerity. I like knowing the truth, that's all. Here's the link to the convo if u don't believe me... (post #62 and 68 are the ones I'm referring to) http://www.topix.com/forum/city/mountai ... 1331832442

I don't think that she is a rat. Many horse people talk about how there is no control or testing done on horses that are slaughtered for human consumption. They are processed and shipped overseas.
Many equine products & medications are (were) labeled not for use in horses intended for food. That wasn't important to the horse owner, so they used it.

Latest posts