Question - New Mom

Help Support CattleToday:

Arthur

Reaction score
We had a calf born last week Tuesday - The calf would only nurse off 3 teats. The 4th one we cleaned out on Friday and the calf is now nursing on all 4. We did start Penicillin on the calf for 4 days. All seems to be well. The weird thing and we have not seen before is when the calf pee's the cow goes nuts and drinks it. She is still crazy about licking this calf consistently. Is this normal? She has free access to water at all times and hay.

Arthur":v55bacu7 said:
We had a calf born last week Tuesday - The calf would only nurse off 3 teats. The 4th one we cleaned out on Friday and the calf is now nursing on all 4. We did start Penicillin on the calf for 4 days. All seems to be well. The weird thing and we have not seen before is when the calf pee's the cow goes nuts and drinks it. She is still crazy about licking this calf consistently. Is this normal? She has free access to water at all times and hay.

Your penicilin story worries me - it must have been a pretty sick animal - more to this story I am sure - but for another time -the issue at hand is:

Who knows?

We are talking cows here. Not the brightest of lamp creatures in the light store.

As long as the calf is healthy and growing and the cow is taking good care of the calf - no worries.

Besides, even if this is abnormal behaviour - and the cow is still doing a good job of raising the calf - what are you going to do?

Either way I do not think I would worry about it.

Bez>

Completely normal behavior-and not all that uncommon for my cows.
Nothing to worry about.

mgman":1140m378 said:
Nothing to worry about.

I'll drink to that! Seeing one not do it is the exception with our cows. Wait till you see them lick their butts, now that is un-nerving to say the least

Yes - it does that continually also. It was just my son who is 10 and I watching this and her saliva dripping all over and we were trying to move the calf and the mom was just nuts drinking her pee and UGH! I was hoping this was not some awful fetish of hers and not normal. Than again, sorry to hear it is normal.

Arthur":1m622va4 said:
Yes - it does that continually also. It was just my son who is 10 and I watching this and her saliva dripping all over and we were trying to move the calf and the mom was just nuts drinking her pee and UGH! I was hoping this was not some awful fetish of hers and not normal. Than again, sorry to hear it is normal.

Just consider it a sign of being a good maternal cow. And be thankful that humans don;t have to do it.

dun":dj92uyi5 said:
mgman":dj92uyi5 said:
Nothing to worry about.

I'll drink to that! Seeing one not do it is the exception with our cows. Wait till you see them lick their butts, now that is un-nerving to say the least

I got a better one for you Dun:

I saw a calf act stupid and literally jump into an open liquid manure pit one day - after we pulled the calf out - someone had to clean it off!

We let mom do the work - and it took her an hour.

UUUggggghhhhh,

Bez>

i think i herd that animals cleaning up after their calf is instinct. It has to do with keeping preditors away.
wild animals do this regularly. then there is nothing for a bear, cyote(SP), timberwolf, or what ever to find and track a baby for a tasty lunch.
It's why they eat there afterbirth, drink their pee, eat their poo, and hide them where no one can find them.

Good mommas definitely

People have to clean their babies behinds too God just blessed us with hands and wipes. One of the great things about being a person not a cow. Sounds like she's doing her job. If your son gets disgusted about it start sharing diaper stories with him. :lol:

Mama Kitties and dogs lick their babies bottoms to get them to go to the bathroom. The babies can't go on their own when they are really young. I figured that a cow had to do the same thing.

Latest posts