Question for the goat folks

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
We've got a doe kid, about two weeks old, one of triplets whose mother got mastitis. One (the buck) was put on a bottle, and the two does we tried to put onto does that just kidded with singles. One is doing fine, the doe loves her. The other one we struggled with for a week and a half, but the doe was just belting her up. Anyway, not wanting to risk injury as the poor little tacker was being thrown into the air, we seperated her and put her on a bottle. Anyway, she is getting progresively worse. The stiffness, lameness and pain has been increasing. She is still bright and hungry. Her joints are painful but not swollen or hot. Just curious as her symptoms don't seem to fit anything really well. Any ideas?

I've never seen a kid with navel/joint ill but that's what it sort fo sounds like. It's unfortunate that not every illness/malady shows all of the typical systems until it's sometimes too late. Temp heer, but with navel/joint ill they won;t allwasy run a temp. Unless she's just stove up with having been wacked around by the prospective mom, I'ld start hitting her with a long acting pen every other day for about 3 or 4 doses then re-evaluate.

dun

Thanks dun. Our thoughts were either it was the injury which was getting worse because of the severe cold snap we are having, or it is a case of joint ill (which we have had in kids before). We've been treating her pretty much as you said. Not too much improvement yet but we will see.

Latest posts