Question for Texans

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
I attended the Texas A&M Cattle Short Course last week and in the beginning of every conference, the conference leader would shout out HOWDY and expect everyone to "howdy" back. It was kind of annoying.

Really the only person I ever heard actually use "howdy" was Minnie Pearl and I don't think she was from Texas.

How many of you actually use "howdy" on a daily basis?

A6gal":ojnznpeq said:
I attended the Texas A&M Cattle Short Course last week and in the beginning of every conference, the conference leader would shout out HOWDY and expect everyone to "howdy" back. It was kind of annoying.

Really the only person I ever heard actually use "howdy" was Minnie Pearl and I don't think she was from Texas.

I actually use it quite often, but when you are in A&M country HOWDY is a way of life! I've got to start working on using it more, because my son wants to attend A&M. :shock:

A6gal":14guhkdc said:

Not I.

Alice

Minnie Pearls HOWDEEEEE is a whole lot different from howdy.

I think it's used all over the south on a regular basis.

Howdy Ma'am. Pleased to meet you!

Howdy sure sounds a heck of a lot better than WASSUUUUP?

Saying Howdy, nodding your head at folks, tipping your hat, waving at folks you pass in the truck, pulling over for funerals, or pulling over to let traffic pass, are just sort of a way of life here. The closer you get to the city, the more different it gets.

Times are changing. You can pretty much spot good folks right off just by their mannerisms.

I say "Yes Mam, No sir" etc. to anyone. Just the way I was raised. I think of it as being respectful.

I have to admit that a man that tips his hat and addresses me as m'am always turns my head. I think it is a very gallant gesture.

"Hi ya'll" is my normal hello when there is more than one I'm addressing. I guess it sounds kind of hick-ish and not so very sophisticated but that's what I grew up with.

Here's one for you. I called my daughter's home awhile back (she's 23) and one of her friends (male) answered the phone. I asked what they were doing and his answer was "throwing a munch"! Definitely lowered my opinion of him. When I told a friend about the conversation she said she'd heard kids use the phrase to! The WASSSSUP is also annoying.

I guess I normally say, "Hi, ya...how ya' doin'?"...kind of roll it all together.

When I visit my aunt in the nursing home, many times I say, "Hi ya', chickie poo" to her and the other ladies. They just laugh and laugh.

I don't think it matters how one says hello, as long as whomever you are addressing knows what you've said is being said politely and courteously...and I think voice inflection and eye contact has a lot to do with that, also.

Alice

A6gal":38dl7pbr said:

I do. It's an Aggie thing. Gig 'em!

I was an Aggie, for a year, and i still say it all the time. Especially to all my "city" friends, they think its great. Didnt actually say it a whole lot down there, just on campus mostly.

it's surprising that you only heard it in the lectures and not from some of the students (the unfortunate few that are stuck there between semesters :lol: ) when walking through campus. as has already been said, it's an "Aggie" thing. a tradition, in fact.

"Community Traditions
Say "Howdy!"
Aggieland has gained a reputation of being the friendliest campus in the world."

http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/community.shtml

I say howdy quite a bit and I've never been to Texas or lived in the south. Depends on who I'm talking to, I guess. Usually say "good morning", "good afternoon", or "good evening".

txag":16xe2x5p said:
it's surprising that you only heard it in the lectures and not from some of the students (the unfortunate few that are stuck there between semesters :lol: ) when walking through campus. as has already been said, it's an "Aggie" thing. a tradition, in fact.

"Community Traditions
Say "Howdy!"
Aggieland has gained a reputation of being the friendliest campus in the world."

http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/community.shtml

Being at A&M for that year has got me saying howdy or good morning or hello or whatever greeting more often to people I dont know. Like when in a store or walking somewhere or whenever.

"Howdy" comes out occaisionally, but mostly its usually Hi, Hello, Hey, Good Mornin', Mornin', or simply a wave. Depends on my mood and time of day, really.

backhoeboogie":3umc9hkz said:
Howdy sure sounds a heck of a lot better than WASSUUUUP?

While "howdy" is not a form of greeting I hear very often, not even when I lived in Georgia, I'll be the first to agree with you on this statement - my ex used to use it on a regular basis and something about it just sets me on edge.

I use it all the time, but in a more quiet softer way. I never heard anyone use it like Minnie Pearl no Hoowwwdy.

I have actually tried to stop using it and just say hello because find myself in business situations maybe when I am bidding jobs or meeting with a Manager or District Manager of a store. So I have tried to catch myself and start using Hello instead thinking maybe Howdy does not sound as business like, but it is a hard habit to break.

No howdies round here.

Mostly "Mornin" or "Mornin mam"

But some of the places you go into you just get your name shouted out, kind of like Norm on Cheers. It actually makes you feel good to walk in a place and someone hollers your name and asks you how you've been doing.

cypressfarms":sqzl04fv said:
No howdies round here.

Mostly "Mornin" or "Mornin mam"

But some of the places you go into you just get your name shouted out, kind of like Norm on Cheers. It actually makes you feel good to walk in a place and someone hollers your name and asks you how you've been doing.

Around here if they holler my name I am running out the back door ;-) :lol:

I say Howdy if I dont catch myself. sometimes depending on teh situation it can get some funny looks.

Sometimes I can catch myslef after I say How and can turn it in to How do you do, Of course sayng hi to some one as you are passing int he hall im not sure which is worse. Howdy or how do you do.

I will say Howdy on occasion. Going in the feedstore, stuff like that. Not in a professional situation. It just comes out. Seems more informal and friendlier. I didn't know it was a A&M thing, though. Only went there once, when the UTA football team got their a$$es whooped in our once yearly Southwest Conference extravaganza. I was in the band. We were all terribly hung over from the night before. I don't remember much of it except for going in the student union and drinking every kind of liquid I could get to try to re-hydrate myself. Kyle Field is terribly hot in September. :oops:

Latest posts