Question for Texans

Help Support CattleToday:

"Community Traditions
Say "Howdy!"
Aggieland has gained a reputation of being the friendliest campus in the world."

Okay, that explains it all. I'm not up on Aggie traditions, although it was pointed out at the conference that one of the traditions was never to walk on the grass.

My brother was an Aggie for 1 1/2 in the mid 80's. He was killed in a car accident before he could finish.

A6gal":3q3v7mhv said:
"Community Traditions
Say "Howdy!"
Aggieland has gained a reputation of being the friendliest campus in the world."

Okay, that explains it all. I'm not up on Aggie traditions, although it was pointed out at the conference that one of the traditions was never to walk on the grass.

My brother was an Aggie for 1 1/2 in the mid 80's. He was killed in a car accident before he could finish.

Condolonces to you. What a tragedy.

My grandfather graduated from A&M in, I believe, 1914 or 1916 with a degree in electrical engineering. I've always found that amazing...electrical engineering in 1914. I don't know why...I know there was electricity back then, of course...

Anyway, he was always in charge of the electric fences on the dairy...and he could rig some doozies, let me tell ya'.

Alice

A6gal":u0b8eth0 said:
"Community Traditions
Say "Howdy!"

I am very sorry you lost your brother.

Thanks for the condolences. It has been more than 20 years now but still seems like yesterday. I'm just looking forward to seeing him again in the ever-after as with the rest of my family.
They've all passed on.

It is a strange feeling being the only one left behind. Mom went in 78 (she was 38 ), brother in mid 80's (he was 24 ), two grandparents in the 90's, dad and two more grandparents from 2000-2004. Makes me feel like an orphan. However I do have two great kids and one grandkid (she's a handful) and we are carrying on! :)

I'm in central Texas,work in an H.E.B(thats a grocery store)must speak to 1000 people a day,Good morning,afternoon,evening,How youall doing, fine thanks.Real well,Real good.....no Howdys..them or me..

I just moved to College Station (well, about 15 miles west of CS, around Snook/Tunis). Quite a change from living in Houston my while life. Now its 10 miles to the closest gas station and a mile down the gravel county road to get home.

But anyways, Howdy is a big Aggie tradition. While you were in CS, did you stop by the Dixie Chicken across the street from A&M? My brother is a bartender there and said they were packed because of the Beef Courses.

another place that is big on "DON'T WLAK ON THE GRASS" is sTu (Tarleton State)..heaven forbid you do that they will be all over you like a fat kid on cake. sTu is a side branch off A&M, so there big on some traditions. Livin' not to far from there (35 mins) we know the tradtions

-bcc":3d2nhvhd said:
another place that is big on "DON'T WLAK ON THE GRASS" is sTu (Tarleton State)..heaven forbid you do that they will be all over you like a fat kid on cake. sTu is a side branch off A&M, so there big on some traditions. Livin' not to far from there (35 mins) we know the tradtions

35 minutes which direction?

BTW, walking on the grass at Tarleton State and getting in trouble for it is not entirely true. Up until a little over a year ago I worked there, and I still have friends that do. There are little paths where people walk on the grass shot all thru that campus. How long since you've been there? Did you get busted for it? IF you did, what else were you doing besides walking on the grass? ;-)

Most of the colleges in TX are part of the A&M system...did you know that? Just like all of the research stations and county extension offices...

Alice

How-do with a nod. I can't say that I hear howdy much and I can't remember anyone else ever saying how-do.

Latest posts