Question for heifer/calf condition

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I bought 25 head at a dispersal today and am pleased for the most part . The springers are in good flesh . I also bought 4 pair , Two heifers with 350-400 lb nice calves on them are the ones in question . Calves look great but the heifers have been pulled down . They are underweight . Should I turn around and sell the calves off them and let them catch up ? Normally I sell 500-600 lb calves . Paid an average of $1850 for the pairs and $1350 for the springers .

are they bred back? if so just feed them some good protein so they can maintain there condition and u should be fine. if they are open about your only option to get them to breed is to wean them. you can feed the calves when you wean if you want to that away they aren't so small

Light bred heifer's and light heifer pairs must sell cheap for a reason . I don't think I'll lose any money but don't think she's a money maker either . I'm always tempted to buy these and usually do , thats gonna change . I think the extra money spent on a good middle age cow or discounted broke mouth cow are better investments , what do others think

I would worn them all real good and feed the heifers a little while.

I'm about done buying BM cows. If You can buy heifer pairs with 350 to 400lb calves for 1850$ your doing well. Help them along if you need to for a while then sell a 500lb calf for 1400$ and a 750lb heifer for 1200$. What breeds are these?

This was a dispersal sale where the man was unable to care for them anymore and the family sold his herd . They were all black cows and char x's . Some went for more . Most of the cows were 1000-1200lb cows that were in decent condition , not too far off but have room for improvement . Denver why done with BM cows ? maybe I've been lucky but seem to come out good on them

I come out good on the money on them, just have alot that won't raise a calf very good. I know how to buy them, all have good bags, but seems like I just get to many that don't have enough left in them. I had very good luck for a while, have some I bought a few years ago that are still raising good calves every year.

I'm not surprised Kenny, the sluaghter market has been getting better the last 2 weeks here. We had a few cows in the 1.50s here Thursday.

Most went for a couple hundred over there scrap value at the dispersal . Week to week sales here seem to be all about quality . The good springers bring over $2k and good pairs over $3k. I'm sure thats how it it is everywhere and should be . I could go that route but usually opt out around $1800 or so on the springers . From my experience I come out better fooling around with the stuff not everyone's crazy about .

I say sell the calves and let the mom as catch up. That would be your best bet you should get at least $1000 for the calves so that puts you only paying $850 for the cow. I bet you could and prolly will get more then $1000 for the calves but also could be less I don't know what they look like to estimate.

Latest posts