Question about wood glue

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
I would like to know if any of you can reccommend the best glue for an all wood rocking chair that is coming apart in several places where it was put together. The wood is still good.

For all our woodwork here we simply use white carpenters glue.

Then we clamp it for 48 hours - even though 24 will usually suffice.

One of the important things about gluing something together is the ability to knock it apart with a rubber mallet when it comes loose.

Sooner or late all glue needs to be replaced - use the wrong type and you end up damaging the wood.

In fact I put together an old maple rocking chair a couple of months or so ago - had to knock a few spindles out to clean everything and do a good job.

If I was refinishing it I would have just dumped the entire chair in the tank first to work all thed old glue off - but this was just a straight glue job.

If you value your chair and know that this job will be repeated in 5 - 10 - 15 years from now - be sure to use the right glue - or you may regret it.

If truly unsure, ask someone at your local refinishers shop - yellow pages - they will be happy to tell you what is available locally.

Bez>

Yeah, just simple wood glue is sufficient. I'm a carpenter and keep a bottle of white gel type wood glue and a bottle of dark gel type wood glue in my truck at all times. I like the gel because it's thicker than normal wood glue and tends not to run as bad. Just make sure to clean off all wet glue with a wet paper towel before it dries. Sometimes I will predrill a hole and put in a finish screw to hold the piece also. Then fill in the screw hole with colored wood putty.

Latest posts