Question about post mortem exams?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
How quick would you have to find a calf that had been aborted for a post mortem exam to be done? How much would the heat affect it? Best way to preserve it til contacting the vet?

The sooner the better.
The longer that it is in the heat the more it would bloat and possible destroy any findings.
The sooner you can get it to the vet the better, but if you have to store it put it in a plastic bag and if you have a big enough freezer and the spouse don't shoot you put it in the freezer to keep it cool.
Talk to your vet about the time frame they can give an estimate of the time frame.

When we had a cow die the vet came out the next morning. I think that was in the fall though, so the weather was cooler than it is now.
We've also had two calves posted. The first one went to the vet as soon as my husband came home from work (about 4:00). The second one we actually took in on a Sunday because the vet had been out at 10:00 Saturday night to treat him and then back Sunday morning before he died. Both calves had been dead less than a few hours.
Ask your vet about an aborted calf as it may have been dead inside the cow for who knows how long. That may influence the amount of time you have after it's actually aborted.

I just asked my vet this yesterday. His response was that there really isn't a time limit, just the sooner the better. The sooner they can get started the better the odds of getting an accurate result.

Not really the answer you (or I) was looking for, but I know what he meant.

Latest posts