Question about height

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
When breeding, what the chances of getting a larger colt? If you breed two 14 hand horses for example,is it possible to get a 15 hand horse?

Anything is possable..Depends on what size Gparents were,nutrition,lots of factors,but usually,no

Anything is possible, but if you breed 2 14 hand horse, expect a 14 hand horse.

I will disagree with peg on this one, don't try to get your horse bigger by pumping large amounts of feed to them, you'll get a crippled up, screwed up horse. Just give them good balanced nutrition and keep them wormed and you'll get what you get.

My QH brood mare is 15.3, my 4 yr old gelding, that is my saddle horse, is 16 hands now he is out of a 16.1 halter horse (I'm 6'3" and about 260 he's just what I need). I have a 2 yr old gelding out of a 15.3 stud, my gelding is still growing but he should go 15.3. He's about 15.1 now.

Alan

No,no you misunderstood----If the breeding horses had been stunted--that is if their genetic hight is 16h,but poor feed and hightrough made them 14,then with PROPER nutrition,their offspring would reach the genetic hight programed..

peg4x4":c9bmajhi said:
No,no you misunderstood----If the breeding horses had been stunted--that is if their genetic hight is 16h,but poor feed and hightrough made them 14,then with PROPER nutrition,their offspring would reach the genetic hight programed..

I have personally seen this happen with a person we know from around our area. He had wonderful bloodlines but really didnt take care of his animals. If they ever had a chance it would be only if they were bought as babies. Many of his mares would only be 13 hands even at 4 years of age. Many thought they were just small due to the bloodlines but with quite a few it was the care they had been given.

I have a 15.3 hand mare and when I bred her to a 15.3 hand stud (6 different times, colts) she would throw a variety of sizes. They were all taken care of and given the oppertunity to grow to their full potential. One was 15 hands, 3 over 15.2, and the youngest two I'm still waiting on. The last colt though this year I don't think will make it much over 14 hands. He was always on the small side. It's basically a crap shoot with a little guessing!

Latest posts