Question about a retained placenta.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score

She aborted the calf at around 240 days or so. I went in and cleaned her out the best I could and put 4 bolus in her and 60cc of la200 sq. The placenta was still attached good and it felt like the cervix was inside out. My question is, how long do I wait before I pull - tear the rest of the placenta out? I would like to breed her and ship her with my fall calves this spring. Thanks

When did you administer the boluses and LA? When we use that regimen, I usually give them a few days since they have antibiotic in them. Most of the time it cuts loose after that. I prefer to not manually remove or pull it as this can put her at a greater risk for infection and cause problems with rebreeding. I've also been told to give a shot of lutalyse to help with removal. Cant 100% vouch for the effectiveness of that since I haven't used luta alone for that purpose enough times...and I sure as shoot aren't anything close to vet! Good luck with her!

I assume you gave her time to naturally expell the afterbirth before you went in?

I have had two cases of retained placenta both cases following twins. Here is the procedure my vet used and both cows immediately healed and stuck to AI service on their next heat.

1. He performed a rectal palpation. Purpose is to feel the uterus for debris and assess whether there are issues other than just retained placenta.
2. He inserted a spectrum to visually inspect the cervix.
3. He then went back into the rectum and used his hand to force out the broken down placenta. He forced it out through the vagina. It was a foul bloody discharge with chunks of placenta.
4. He inserted 5 uterine boluses into her uterus.
5. He infused antibiotic directly into the uterus through a tube.

Your question: you should not go into her uterus and pull or tear anything out.

We had one abort 1/22, not due until 3/26. Didn't lose her placenta until 1/25 but noticed she already had an infection. Vet gave her uterine boluses, Micotil & Lute and she's already cycling. Vet thinks it's possible she already had the infection, which may have caused the abortion because she did clean herself & 3 days isn't that long to retain. Soooo, not really sure how long you should wait but I would try the Lute first.

5. He infused antibiotic directly into the uterus through a tube.

Your question: you should not go into her uterus and pull or tear anything out.[/quote]

By chance do you know what antibiotic? We had the retained placenta deal years ago and after 6 days I gave the placenta a good pull and it came loose. With that being said the cow didn't breed back either. I plan on trying Lute today and see what happens. I'm going to call my vet and see what his thoughts are, and if I can or should give her some more bolus. I really hate to sell a cow for salvage prices at the sale barn, but sometimes it happens. Thanks

True Grit Farms":nhgczhpk said:
Aaron":nhgczhpk said:
Margonme":nhgczhpk said:
you should not go into her uterus and pull or tear anything out.

Thought it needed more emphasis.

How long do I wait? Or just let it rot and ship her when the withdrawal time is up?

With my usual disclaimer, that I am not a vet, ai tech or expert.
I've been taught to never ever pull it out. And I've had a few go several days and yes get stinking rotten. Never had it be a problem has always eventually came out.

Excede is labeled for RP's. We use it on about day 3 of dairy cows if still retaining. I also give Multi Min 90 and very rarely do I "have" to give the recommend 2nd dose. Works way better than them vaginal pills we used to use along with infusions.

Chlortetracycline

TG: Give her some time!!!!! The boluses contain active ingredients that break down the placenta so it can discharge. Make sure you are inserting the correct number of boluses. Let them work. This is not as proactive as you are implying with your posts.

Don't sell her. This is routine. Lut is not necessary. But again, if it makes you feel better use it. Many vets do, many vets don't.

Excede is also good. I agree with Till-Hill.

Quick Note To TG: the uterine boluses are pushed through the opening of the cervix into the body of the uterus. It is easy but you got to make sure they are going into the uterus and not remaining in the vagina. I have done it a couple times. Once here, once for a good friend.

Margonme":2jv032c9 said:
Quick Note To TG: the uterine boluses are pushed through the opening of the cervix into the body of the uterus. It is easy but you got to make sure they are going into the uterus and not remaining in the vagina. I have done it a couple times. Once here, once for a good friend.

Thanks for that tip Ron, I put them in the vagina and one in the fornix. The cervix was wide open, shame their not like that when it's time to AI them.

True Grit Farms":3p1yawx7 said:
Margonme":3p1yawx7 said:

Thanks for that tip Ron, I put them in the vagina and one in the fornix. The cervix was wide open, shame their not like that when it's time to AI them.

Yes. Takes about 40 days for the cervix to get back its pre-partum tone. Putting them in the vagina (fornix is part of vagina) is not going to treat the retained placenta.

I was taught early on that you NEVER pull it; the weight of it hanging, yes looking terrible, will naturally cause it to "pull" away from the walls of the uterus, without tearing anything up. Most all the dairies that I milk test for use lute, on about 5th day and then again in a week. Few have any problems after that if the nutrition level is where it needs to be. Can't see where a shot of multi-min would hurt and an antibiotic for infection, but it isn't gonna happen in 24 hours, you need to give it a little time. We don't see one every couple of years, and they usually pass them in 2-3 days, on their own, but if not then they go in the chute and get a shot of lute.

I gave her 5 cc of Multi - Min90 along with the LA200. Any cow that I doctor gets a shot of Multi - Min90 is good stuff. I guess it's to the point of just letting nature run it's course.
So you should never have to pull the placenta out by hand?

True Grit Farms":38x2wvg0 said:
I gave her 5 cc of Multi - Min90 along with the LA200. Any cow that I doctor gets a shot of Multi - Min90 is good stuff. I guess it's to the point of just letting nature run it's course.

Don't pull it out. What is hanging is not the issue. The issue is what is attached to the uterine wall. Pulling will only remove what you can grasp; the portion attached remains. Best to allow the portion attached to go through the process of detachment. When deattachment does not occur, you will see a rusty discharge and smell odor. In that circumstance, uterine boluses are excellent means to clean things up. Clean the vulva, glove up and force the proper number of boluses through the cervix into the body of the uterus.

SIMMGAL":2d0vgkht said:
True Grit Farms":2d0vgkht said:

:nod:

Don't. Don't pull it out. Don't do it. Don't.

Did I mention, don't? Haha!
:mrgreen:

Did you know that repeating a command more than twice causes the cognitive function of the cerebrum to invert the command? Now you done it! He is sure to pull on it now.

Margonme":457mcv90 said:
SIMMGAL":457mcv90 said:
True Grit Farms":457mcv90 said:

Did you know that repeating a command more than twice causes the cognitive function of the cerebrum to invert the command? Now you done it! He is sure to pull on it now.

I got it, 10-4. I knew not to pull the placenta out, but I didn't know if there was a time frame when you should. This is the first retained placenta we've had in years. And I don't like change.

True Grit Farms":13ki7fbb said:
Margonme":13ki7fbb said:
SIMMGAL":13ki7fbb said:

I got it, 10-4. I knew not to pull the placenta out, but I didn't know if there was a time frame when you should. This is the first retained placenta we've had in years. And I don't like change.

I was making a joke there. I figured you knew that.

Latest posts