Questiion for fall calvers

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
Anyone having difficulties with cows settling? We have had a 30 to 45 day breeding season the past few years but this fall, we have had several late in settling. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

It can happen. You need better hay to keep condition on them in the winter - course, not sure how bad SW MO gets in the winter. Anyway - feed is the big thing I think for bringing them back into cycling. It's all a caloric balance and the colder it gets the more calories they use keeping warm in addition to raising their calf. One year all we had was stalky grass hay and getting breedback that year was tough.

That is why I am puzzled. The herd is in excellent condition, body score averaging 6 and higher, and have been on a full mineral program for years. If it is weather, it certainly isn't because of a severe winter. I thought maybe repercussions from the drought. Just speculating here.

Green Creek":kvxtazma said:
That is why I am puzzled. The herd is in excellent condition, body score averaging 6 and higher, and have been on a full mineral program for years. If it is weather, it certainly isn't because of a severe winter. I thought maybe repercussions from the drought. Just speculating here.

Did you have a BSE done on your bull?

3waycross":13k5o11x said:
Green Creek":13k5o11x said:

That and the drought can be very stressful on cows that aren't used to it. You will have more abort in heat like that.

Green Creek":ujei38bu said:
Anyone having difficulties with cows settling? We have had a 30 to 45 day breeding season the past few years but this fall, we have had several late in settling. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Only sometimes in 1st and 2nd calvers. Don't have much trouble with the mature cows or heifers catching. My bull did 30+ heifers/cows from Nov 2 till Dec 14. One 2nd-calf cow was open but I don't blame her as her 2nd cycle was the day I pulled the bull.

3waycross":olju6ais said:
Green Creek":olju6ais said:

Yes, we had BSE done on all the bulls and they were in good shape and fertile. I suppose it's no good speculating, just wondered if anyone else had the problem. Thanks everyone for answering.

That's just it . . . if the cows were in good shape on good mineral, it was most likely just one of those things. What percentage were open?

I did have one due on Sept that aborted in the July heat and had one that checked pregnant that never calved in October this year. Figure she aborted or absorbed as well. Both sale barn now.

You musta jinxed me - got a group of cows in two different pens with two different bulls that just don't seem to be catching. Bulls passed BSEs just before getting let out too. At best, it's taking two cycles for the bull(s) to get em. Good condition on the cows, mineral, good hay . . . .

Who the he77 knows . . . .

Latest posts