Quaker Hill Rampage

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the top side of the pedigree, don't know much on the bottom side. I would put him on the do not use list based on his EN number. I wouldn't think you would improved fleshing ability on your longhorns using this bull.

gizmom

gizmom":1xaskkf1 said:
I like the top side of the pedigree, don't know much on the bottom side. I would put him on the do not use list based on his EN number. I wouldn't think you would improved fleshing ability on your longhorns using this bull.

gizmom

Can you please explain what you mean by that? I'm a newbie to all these EPD things (and most everything else), all help appreciated.

Thanks

You can find the definition for Angus EPD's at http://www.angus.org/Nce/Definitions.aspx I copied and pasted the EN for you. So although the bull you posted has some impressive numbers his EN number is just way to negative for me to use.

Cow Energy Value ($EN), expressed in dollar savings per cow per year, assesses differences in cow energy requirements as an expected dollar savings difference in daughters of sires. A larger value is more favorable when comparing two animals (more dollars saved on feed energy expenses). Components for computing the cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with differences in mature cow size

gizmom

I looked at him, 'cause the farm manager here (my wife) is mostly all about 'pounds across the scale'.
The big negative $EN would make me not want to keep daughters - but if you're looking at producing 'terminal' stocker/feeder calves, with his high WW and REA epds, resulting calves oughta have plenty of grow and muscle.
I'm kinda surprised to see his HP so high, with 2536 in the mix, but she is 4 generations back.

gizmom":390z7rze said:

gizmom
I like the top and bottom because it ain't longhorn..

Latest posts