putting hay out

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
brother decided he would fill the hay rings for the cows.so now they have hay to eat when they want it.they still have grass to eat.if we get some good rain the grass will keep growing.

If you get some good rain your hay will get wet also and the cows won't want to eat it. That's the fun in farming.

yes GB the storm hit here at 4am and lasted till about 6am.didnt have the rain gauge out so dont know how much rain we got.

Hope you get some rain or it's gonna be a long winter to start feeding hay in October. :( We have had our share of drought but not this year. Seldom see such green grass going into winter here. Finished mowing road ditch again yesterday. Usually grass is done growing here at Labor Day.

If you have some higher energy hay that the cattle like - - you can increase gain on pasture by supplying it along with washy grass. This is an old spring and fall stocker technique, but it works with pairs also.

I am currently supplying a couple round bales in each new paddock. They tend to eat the clover patches, then the hay, and then the grass.

we couldve made it easy till nov without feeding hay.but my brother loves feeding hay when he thinks the cows need it.we have prolly 175acs that we started shredding this week.that will give the cows more to eat as well.we will prolly put out protine tubs in nov or dec.

I'm going to show my ignorance here....

When people say they are stock piling grass does that simply mean they are letting there pastures grow so the cattle will eat grass longer and feed less hay?

Calhoun Farm":3ugpfvaa said:
I'm going to show my ignorance here....

When people say they are stock piling grass does that simply mean they are letting there pastures grow so the cattle will eat grass longer and feed less hay?
yes thats what stockpiling means.

Hay is grass but allowing grass to grow in the pasture until winter, then allowing the cattle to graze it saves the cost and labor of cutting/baling. The flip side might be the amount of waste if left in the field as opposed to baling and storing it. I prefer to bale it and then put out winter Rye in it's place.