Putting a shine on Beef Heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am planning to butcher several heiferettes this summer for freezer beef. They will have free choice legume/grass hay and bucket fed grain for about 60 days. I can get a whole corn with pellets mix, or corn screenings. What are the pros and cons for these grains aside from price?

I would say consistency is the biggest concern. Depending on how many bees wings are in the screenings there may not be as many pounds of corn in a bucket every day.
If you can I'd use shell corn and screenings then top dress your pellets in the bunk. That way you can increase your corn and easily keep your protein at a lb/Hd/day.

Stocker Steve said:
I am planning to butcher several heiferettes this summer for freezer beef. They will have free choice legume/grass hay and bucket fed grain for about 60 days. I can get a whole corn with pellets mix, or corn screenings. What are the pros and cons for these grains aside from price?

Corn screenings should be discounted due as they are full of trash. Corn weights 56 lbs. to the bushel. Good corn screenings "might" weight 49 tops. I would inquire as to the test weight on them.

Latest posts