Purina Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

I just started a different brand (don't remember active ingredient) Neighbor said I wouldn't notice difference immediately
as it is a larva killer. He likes it. My problem is I rotational graze and I need to keep dragging the tub around every other day.
The cows are back in the Never Never and even daylight won't go in there without a rope.

I can't speak for Purina, but I imagine it contains altosid, same as Vigortone It will take two weeks to interrupt the life cycle of the fly. It's good to get it out early and leave it out til the first frost. Leaving it out will cause the flies to not overwinter and you won't see as many next spring. Timing is crucial.
Also, IGR works on Horn Flies. Those are the flies that cause cattle to bunch up. If you see flies, but your cattle aren't bunching up, your fly control is working. When cattle bunch, they aren't eating/gaining.

Hope this helps.

We feed the mineral and I guess it works some. We still have flies and pretty bad too so I tell myself that they would be worse if we didn't have it out. In the end I don't know really.

We feed the mineral and I guess it works some. We still have flies and pretty bad too so I tell myself that they would be worse if we didn't have it out. In the end I don't know really.
If you have neighbors that have cattle and they don't use it, it won't work. IGR works in the manure of the cattle where the flies lay their eggs, killing the larva. If your neighbors don't use it you are not getting a good effect.

If you have neighbors that have cattle and they don't use it, it won't work. IGR works in the manure of the cattle where the flies lay their eggs, killing the larva. If your neighbors don't use it you are not getting a good effect.
My most fortunate aspect of having cattle is, I don't have any neighbors with cattle.

I've always had hundreds of cattle just across the fence from me and always had flies. 2 years ago they took the cattle out and put beans in now the nearest cow is about a mile away and last year was the worst for flies and this year is about normal, meaning with effort we can manage tolerable limits.

the new thing is Garlic! finding it in bulk is a challenge. I want to try it as a add in to loose mineral because I have seen posts that the blocks with garlic don't seem to have the same affect. anyone here using garlic?

For garlic try Sam's club. About $6 for 2lb of cloves and 8 for a gallon of Canola. They (cow) has to get fairly greasy
before it mix gets to underbelly. Peel and grind or chop cloves and cook in the oil. I will use about an oz of permectin (sp)
to the gallon of mix if flies are bad, maybe a tad less. That is what I do and not an endorsement.

For garlic try Sam's club. About $6 for 2lb of cloves and 8 for a gallon of Canola. They (cow) has to get fairly greasy
before it mix gets to underbelly. Peel and grind or chop cloves and cook in the oil. I will use about an oz of permectin (sp)
to the gallon of mix if flies are bad, maybe a tad less. That is what I do and not an endorsement.
I was thinking of a liquid garlic oil like Durkee on Amazon 32 oz for $22. need a mix to use as a pour on or spray. mix with 8$ Canola per gallon sounds like a good idea. any idea of how many oz.s of liquid garlic oil per gallon of Canola to try?

I was wondering how something like Purina tub for fly control works.
I'm new to this and I have a lot of flies laying eggs = maggots!
I have 3 pigs, chickens and rabbits also and I have been using those bags that you hang and they fill up everyday. So I am looking for something bigger and better.

The manager at TSC said that a sulfur block would help?

the new thing is Garlic! finding it in bulk is a challenge. I want to try it as a add in to loose mineral because I have seen posts that the blocks with garlic don't seem to have the same affect. anyone here using garlic?
There are a lot of threads on here about using Garlic. You can do a search to find them.

I've never tracked one myself but several university studies say several miles.
Horn flies can fly up to 15 km to find a host, although most flies will not leave the herd where they were born.

I was wondering how something like Purina tub for fly control works.
I'm new to this and I have a lot of flies laying eggs = maggots!
I have 3 pigs, chickens and rabbits also and I have been using those bags that you hang and they fill up everyday. So I am looking for something bigger and better.

The manager at TSC said that a sulfur block would help?
wont help with fly control but will help with infections

We are using garlic salt blocks and been pleased with the results.

Latest posts