Purina Accuration

Help Support CattleToday:

deenranch

Reaction score
Has anyone who feeds or has fed this unhappy with performance? We've been blessed with a lot of rain and mud. The bulls just don't look good... They are drawn down and have lost some weight...

deenranch":36vt70hj said:
Has anyone who feeds or has fed this unhappy with performance? We've been blessed with a lot of rain and mud. The bulls just don't look good... They are drawn down and have lost some weight...

Results of feeding Accuration are overhyped in my opinion...but it will limit intake. There are several to choose from each containging more or less of the limiting agents. Maybe consumption is just too low and another one with less of the limiter would work better. Personally....everything I own seems to look awful this time of the year. :oops:

Brute 23":1k3m88ls said:
You have to watch how much you feed because you can founder cattle with it. Make sure you talk with some one before you up it too much.

Not a problem...the whole idea in the development of Accuration was for it to be a self limiting feed. And the cattle eat many small meals every day instead of slug feeding once or twice a day. The best way to feed it is in a free choice feeder. It is also pretty low in starches as well. Check our Purina's "Intake Modifying Technology" as they like to refer to it. ;-) The big problem most folkshave with it is as others have mentioned...it's usually pretty darned expensive.

I know the idea but there were several cases of cattle that foundered on accuration mixes in the drought. Just my guess, I would say the cattle's diest was out of balance but none the less Purina paid out so that leads me to believe they were liable in some way.

Brute 23":2wzvyls0 said:
I know the idea but there were several cases of cattle that foundered on accuration mixes in the drought. Just my guess, I would say the cattle's diest was out of balance but none the less Purina paid out so that leads me to believe they were liable in some way.
Paid out??? I guess sometimes it's quicker and easier to give a guy what he wants than to make him prove it was not his fault. Feeding accuration is more than dumping it into a feeder and walking off especially during drought conditions. People actually have to be taught how to mange the feeder, etc. etc. etc. If anyone was at fault it was the feedstore owner who probably just sold the feed and didn't know that much about it himself.

TexasBred,

I have been feeding it for over two years... The first set of bulls did great... This second set look bad... They are the same genetics and fed exactly the same as the other bulls... The main difference is That it is really muddy... I have some heifers that I'm feeding a different feed to in the same conditions and they look great... The bulls have probably lost 200# in the last month and a half... I am switching feed because that's the only thing I can figure out... The expense was not a problem.. The bulls on feed only cost $2.85 to $3.15 a day to feed from weaning to 18 months... That is not bad...

deenranch":1u4wp2uy said:
TexasBred,

I have been feeding it for over two years... The first set of bulls did great... This second set look bad... They are the same genetics and fed exactly the same as the other bulls... The main difference is That it is really muddy... I have some heifers that I'm feeding a different feed to in the same conditions and they look great... The bulls have probably lost 200# in the last month and a half... I am switching feed because that's the only thing I can figure out... The expense was not a problem.. The bulls on feed only cost $2.85 to $3.15 a day to feed from weaning to 18 months... That is not bad...

Well mud will definitely drain the energy out of them. How big are the heifers compared to the bulls. What is the daily feed intake by the heifers as opposed to the bulls who are on the "intake limiting" feed?

deenranch":c7trztd7 said:
TexasBred,

You lost 200 pounds!? I would be doing something majorly different. You are losing at the rate you should be gaining.

The three heifers are from the same weaning group as the bulls... They are the same genetics and everything... I have been feeding them 50# of 12% feed a day and the bulls are on full feed... They have all been wormed and up to date on everything.... I just don't understand why the bulls have lost the weight... I have changed them over to the other feed and they are filling out... We still have the mud... The only difference in the pen is now I have hauled some base material in for them to get on... Things seem to be looking up.... I really liked the accuration but probably won't use it anymore.... Thanks for all the info...

Latest posts