Purina Accuration and Fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

I have just gotten started in the brahman business, but i do know alot about the bred and I am friends with some of the best breeders in the US. I am following their advice.

No I do not breed my brahman to calve at 24 months. Most brahman dont even cycle until 24 months old. They get bred between 18 months and 24 months. We (brahman breeders) want our brahman cattle to get as much growth as they can before having their first calf that is another reason why we breed them late.

Accuration is not like show feed or grain it has a limiter in it. It is used to help the brahman utilize their forage better. When the brahman or any other cattle have good grass or hay and they are on Accuration it puts them in top condition. Good condition means a better chance of them coming into heat earlier after calving and better conception rates. Neither my brahman calves nor my commercial calves are creep fed. They are raised on their mothers milk and grass( the brahman calves usually will not touch the accuration). From weaning until breeding age my brahman are fed something. I usually feed show feed or some kind of developer. My brahman heifers are not fed alot just enough to push them along. The best age to start brahman on the accuration is around breeding age which is around 18 months. If the brahman have access to very good grass then I can start them on accuration at 14-16 months.

I also would not make a profit by using accuration on my commercial cows. The commercial market is not as high as it is in other states. An 8 month old calves grass fed that weighs 600-700 lbs will not bring $800 like some other states or atleast that is what i hear it would sell for 600 maybe 650 if we are lucky. A polled or horned registered brahman calf will sell 4 or 5 times higher than a commercial calve.

I am just following the advice of top brahman breeders to see what works best for me and my cattle. I know some brahman breeders who use accuration and i know some who do not. My commercial cattle have been pretty much grass fed their whole lives, but brahman need a little more input. I put more into my brahman than i do my commercial cows, but I see a profit from each herd.

Which formulation do you use on 18 month heifers and what is the crude protein on the mix and why is it even needed is they are on good grass. When you say "good grass" do you mean "lots" of grass or high quality grazing?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lzndj8z said:
Well, that's a good advertisement for Brahman cattle :shock:

I guess what i was trying to say is a good cow will perform well on grass and raise a nice calf. But if you want her to produce to the best of her ability then a little more input is required.

TexasBred":1lzndj8z said:
Which formulation do you use on 18 month heifers and what is the crude protein on the mix and why is it even needed is they are on good grass. When you say "good grass" do you mean "lots" of grass or high quality grazing?
I mean high quality forage.
The 2Hl is what I used earlier this year on a group of heifers. I am going to start my brahman on it this week.
http://www.augustacoop.com/catalog/main/PdfViewer.aspx?el=7275
http://www.augustacoop.com/catalog/Main/Item.aspx?fl=-2147483639&ii=01866
Good grass will put the cow in good condition. Good grass plus accuration will put her in excellent condition. Brahman are late maturing. The better condition she is in the ealier she may come into heat and the higher the conception rate you may have.
For example:
Your cow herd is on good grass but you still give them breeder cubes. The breeder cubes help improve or maintain body condition and improves breeding performance in cattle . The accuration does the same thing.

Feeding excess protein is a total waste of money. If your cattle are on "high quality" grazing that's all they need. Read the literature on Accuration. It's for supplementing fair and poor quality roughage. The energy comes from the high fat content (fish oil) and a large part of the protein is NPN. Just an opinion but you could get equal results much easier and cheaper. This stuff is $19.20 a bag or $768 a ton.

I know all regions aren't the same. I also know all breeds aren't the same. With that said, why cant the bramah people work with their genetics to improve conception rates? Buying a feed to improve conception rates doesn't make a whole lot of sence to me. Im not trying to insult anybody....thats not my intent, Im just courious as to why bramah are that poor breed back. They look to be fairly hardy cattle, as to why they are run in the south west where you need Id guess 7-10 acres for a pair at least. I presumed that they would bread back if fed straw!

Amo":3vyqejxi said:
I know all regions aren't the same. I also know all breeds aren't the same. With that said, why cant the bramah people work with their genetics to improve conception rates? Buying a feed to improve conception rates doesn't make a whole lot of sence to me. Im not trying to insult anybody....thats not my intent, Im just courious as to why bramah are that poor breed back. They look to be fairly hardy cattle, as to why they are run in the south west where you need Id guess 7-10 acres for a pair at least. I presumed that they would bread back if fed straw!
They ARE an easy keeping breed. One breeders statements doesn't make it true. And, basically, he's saying that if fed, they have better conception. Well, just about any breed of anything will conceive better if fed better than their contemporaries. :banana:

I never said they had poor conception rates, I said some may take longer to come into heat. As Jeanne stated feeding extra can improve conception rates. It can also decrease the time between calving and breeding back. I want my brahman as well as my commercial cows to have a smaller window for calving. So i need the best conception rates i can get.

The "brahman people" are breeding for better fertility in our cattle. My heifers are between 14-17 months and some have already been cycling. But i choose not to breed them yet because i want more size on them, and I want them to calve at a certain time. I am breeding for improved fertility
as well.

Vets have told me and i have heard it from other brahman breeders that females sired by bulls with larger testicles are earlier maturing than those sired by bulls with smaller testicles.
The brahman bull i am going to use has a large testicle circumference.

Getting better conception rates and improved fertility is accomplished buy selecting for it and also better nutrition.

BRAFORDMAN":38sat6ic said:
I never said they had poor conception rates, I said some may take longer to come into heat. As Jeanne stated feeding extra can improve conception rates. It can also decrease the time between calving and breeding back. I want my brahman as well as my commercial cows to have a smaller window for calving. So i need the best conception rates i can get.

The "brahman people" are breeding for better fertility in our cattle. My heifers are between 14-17 months and some have already been cycling. But i choose not to breed them yet because i want more size on them, and I want them to calve at a certain time. I am breeding for improved fertility
as well.

Vets have told me and i have heard it from other brahman breeders that females sired by bulls with larger testicles are earlier maturing than those sired by bulls with smaller testicles.
The brahman bull i am going to use has a large testicle circumference.

Getting better conception rates and improved fertility is accomplished buy selecting for it and also better nutrition.
How many different "breeds" do you have Braford? I've seen you mention at least 6.

I have a small herd of mostly polled registered brahman and polled nelore.

I have a small herd of registered horned herefords,a hand full of brangus and braford cross cows that i use commercially by putting a black angus bull or a red angus plus bull on.

I have a a herd that consists of a few british white, flekvieh, hereford, and a few brangus and brangus cross heifers that I am crossing with a british white bull to see how the different crosses will work out. The british white has a grading up program, so the females of the crosses can be registered and used for grading up.

Next year i will AI the fleckvieh to fleckvieh bulls or use a polled brahman bull on them to produce registered F1 simbrah.

If the british white cross breeding does not work out I can add those cows to the commercial herd.

So
Brahman and Nelore
Horned hereford
brangus
fleckvieh
british white
and some crosses

Latest posts