Pure Brome Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

K-SHIRES

Reaction score
On a stand of pure brome hay, ASSUMING you fertilized properly, and cut first crop early with no rain, what would you estimate protien % could be acheived? Anyone ever had this kind of hay tested for protien and/or relative feed value?

An old brome with a little alfalfa stand cut at first bloom and put up with no rain tested 12.9% CP. I have seen "standard" data that says brome only is around 9% CP.

Depends on what is in the ground - that is why it is important to TEST your forages.

I have numbers from year to year that vary as much a 4 - 5 %. That in itself indicates "estimating" is not worth the chatter it produces - in my opinion.

It costs next to nothing and if you buy your suplements from the outfit thast does the testing, generally the testing is free. It is at this operation.

Takes next to no time - other than perhaps two or three phone calls to make all the arrangements - which may be long distance - but basically cost about 30 cents each.

Give your local feed mill a shout and ask them for the name of their feed nutritionist - call him/her and have them out for coffee. They are smart - they are interesting and usually they truly do want to make sure you get the best bang for your buck. If they do not have one - keep looking - they are out there and they are a resource that does make a difference.

Bez!

Thanks fellas - Normally would just go ahead and test hay, asked for "estimate" because am buying a farm that has a couple big fields planted to pure brome, just wondering if it will be drycow/heifer hay or possible to use for milk cows. You have answered my question.

Latest posts