Puppy!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,301
Reaction score
1,193
Location
Central Upstate New York
I am super excited. I finally found a top breeder to purchase my new Miniature Schnauzer. Gale Schnetzer, Wards Creek Kennel in Loveland, Ohio. She will get the ears docked for me, so it will be a few weeks before I get him. He is a Black and Silver. :banana: Pictures coming next week. She is leaving for a dog show & I am leaving for a cattle show tomorrow.
I have owned a Blue Heeler for nearly 50 years and a Salt & Pepper Min Schnauzer for close to 40 years, starting with one for my daughter. Lost my last one about a month ago. Been searching for "the one" for a few weeks. She has two litters. I am letting her pick out my pup. Show-able looks and outgoing personality. I take our dogs to all our shows.
 

TCRanch

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
5,819
Reaction score
1,672
Location
Winfield, KS
There's nothing better than puppy breath! Even their freakishly sharp teeth are worth it. Congrats and I look forward to pics!!
 

wbvs58

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
5,880
Reaction score
1,015
Location
S.E. Queensland, Australia
Great little dogs Jeanne. Your life will be a turmoil for a while as it grows up. We have a 12 wk old Jack Russell in the house at the moment, it is getting near impossible to tire her out, we get her to run beside the UTV with the big dogs.

Ken
 

hurleyjd

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
5,236
Reaction score
154
Location
Yantis, Texas
Jeanne - Simme Valley":vk9ybsm1 said:
I am super excited. I finally found a top breeder to purchase my new Miniature Schnauzer. Gale Schnetzer, Wards Creek Kennel in Loveland, Ohio. She will get the ears docked for me, so it will be a few weeks before I get him. He is a Black and Silver. :banana: Pictures coming next week. She is leaving for a dog show & I am leaving for a cattle show tomorrow.
I have owned a Blue Heeler for nearly 50 years and a Salt & Pepper Min Schnauzer for close to 40 years, starting with one for my daughter. Lost my last one about a month ago. Been searching for "the one" for a few weeks. She has two litters. I am letting her pick out my pup. Show-able looks and outgoing personality. I take our dogs to all our shows.

I had a Miniature Schnauzer named Shelia love of my life. She went every where with me. If I got an ice cream cone at Braums she also had to have a small cup. Many years ago I backed the trailer up to load a little red Angus bull about 900 lbs. Plan was to rush him in the trailer and shut the middle gate. He beat me to it an came out after me. Shelia run under the fence and grabbed him by the nose the bull tried to shake her off and she just kept ratcehting down on the nose. The the bul loweered his head to the ground and Shelia made about two more bites and turned the bull lose. This bull went to the front of the trailer and stood there without any fuss as I closed the middle gate.
 
OP
Jeanne - Simme Valley

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,301
Reaction score
1,193
Location
Central Upstate New York
They are a very tenacious rascal. Mine have always thought they were a cow dog, fanning back & forth behind the herd. Like the Jack Russell, they think they weigh 100#. Very tough. Can be a hand full! But, I love them. I do all the grooming myself. Challenging to keep their feet clean in mud season and thawed in winter. Mine have gone out in the snow and finally just stop & look at me. All 4 feet balled up with snow so bad they were stuck to each other or bellie. I will definitely post pictures as soon as I get him. It will be several weeks. I am already thinking that is too long.
 

slick4591

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
10,448
Reaction score
70
Location
Farmersville, Texas
I'm sure you will have loads of fun with it! I thought I had a puppy a few days ago until the wife found out how big it would get. AKC papered Rhodesian Ridgeback about 5 months but the wife saw where it could get to 90 pounds. Said he wasn't a house dog.
 

Son of Butch

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 30, 2010
Messages
7,489
Reaction score
1,262
Location
Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
I'm disappointed... I thought you sold a puppy to a top breeder.
It's a lot easier to find a top breeder to take your money for a puppy than for them to pay you for one of yours.
 
OP
Jeanne - Simme Valley

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,301
Reaction score
1,193
Location
Central Upstate New York
Son of Butch":29s7flow said:
I'm disappointed... I thought you sold a puppy to a top breeder.
It's a lot easier to find a top breeder to take your money for a puppy than for them to pay you for one of yours.
Yeah, especially when they charge as much as a decent heifer!
 

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
Jeanne, with all your experience with heelers.... are you familiar with a “solid cream”? My female just had her 2nd litter. On the first litter one pup didn’t turn. On this litter 2 pups didn’t turn. I personally like them but I’m not sure that it’s a desirable trait. I was told this comes from the Dalmatian blood in the breeds foundation. I have no idea. Any input from anyone will be appreciated.
 
OP
Jeanne - Simme Valley

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,301
Reaction score
1,193
Location
Central Upstate New York
No, I have not heard of that. Like all breeds (cattle included) there have been "hidden" other breeds introduced along the way. There have been numerous breeds that I have heard used to develop ACD, but the only base has always been the Australian Dingo. Back in the 70's, Ausies would come over here to work/learn on a farm - knew a few in Kansas. They came with their guitar & their heeler. I was always told the working collie & dingos were the main start of the breed. The Dalmatian was never part of the mixture - as told to me.
"In the 19th century, a NSW cattle farmer Thomas Hall crossed the herding dogs used in Northumberland with Australian dingoes, resulting in dogs known as ‘Hall’s Heelers’. From this developed the Australian Cattle Dog that became often called the red or blue heeler. Later on, another Queensland landowner George Elliot experimented with the crossing of the Dingo and Collie."
 

Boot Jack Bulls

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2015
Messages
1,238
Reaction score
114
Location
NW WI
JMJ Farms":5gi6atcq said:
Jeanne, with all your experience with heelers.... are you familiar with a “solid cream”? My female just had her 2nd litter. On the first litter one pup didn’t turn. On this litter 2 pups didn’t turn. I personally like them but I’m not sure that it’s a desirable trait. I was told this comes from the Dalmatian blood in the breeds foundation. I have no idea. Any input from anyone will be appreciated.

The solid white (devoid of the blue mottles or red specks and leg coloring) is a crop-out that occurs (there is some debate about the origin, but most suspect it is from the Dalmatian influence). They are not considered breed standard. In all my years of breeding mottles and speckles, I had one that stayed pure white with just a half mask. She was pretty, but not breeding stock in my mind. There are some people out the who covet the odd colors and even give them cute names (slate, chocolate, lilac, purple, etc. ) I am a purist and stick to the breed standard as set forth by the ACK. BTW, the solid/ nearly solid white ones are more prone to hearing issues.... a vet check is a good idea, regardless of your guarantees or standards as a breeder/seller.
 

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
Thanks Boot Jack. I had picked up bits and pieces of what you said over the years but you’re the first one to put it all together at once.
 
OP
Jeanne - Simme Valley

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,301
Reaction score
1,193
Location
Central Upstate New York
Thanks BJ - This one is only 5 yrs old, so it will be awhile before we're needing a new one. But, I will try to remember you have them. They are an amazing breed. Too smart for many people to own.
 

Boot Jack Bulls

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2015
Messages
1,238
Reaction score
114
Location
NW WI
Jeanne - Simme Valley":144q3rzl said:
Thanks BJ - This one is only 5 yrs old, so it will be awhile before we're needing a new one. But, I will try to remember you have them. They are an amazing breed. Too smart for many people to own.
Very true. I think that is one of the major reasons the are one of the most commonly found breeds in shelters. People do not realize that cute little puppy will turn into a Velociraptor and destroy there pretty little condo. :roll:
 

Latest posts

Top