Puppy!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I am super excited. I finally found a top breeder to purchase my new Miniature Schnauzer. Gale Schnetzer, Wards Creek Kennel in Loveland, Ohio. She will get the ears docked for me, so it will be a few weeks before I get him. He is a Black and Silver. :banana: Pictures coming next week. She is leaving for a dog show & I am leaving for a cattle show tomorrow.
I have owned a Blue Heeler for nearly 50 years and a Salt & Pepper Min Schnauzer for close to 40 years, starting with one for my daughter. Lost my last one about a month ago. Been searching for "the one" for a few weeks. She has two litters. I am letting her pick out my pup. Show-able looks and outgoing personality. I take our dogs to all our shows.

Great little dogs Jeanne. Your life will be a turmoil for a while as it grows up. We have a 12 wk old Jack Russell in the house at the moment, it is getting near impossible to tire her out, we get her to run beside the UTV with the big dogs.

Ken

Jeanne - Simme Valley":vk9ybsm1 said:
I am super excited. I finally found a top breeder to purchase my new Miniature Schnauzer. Gale Schnetzer, Wards Creek Kennel in Loveland, Ohio. She will get the ears docked for me, so it will be a few weeks before I get him. He is a Black and Silver. :banana: Pictures coming next week. She is leaving for a dog show & I am leaving for a cattle show tomorrow.
I have owned a Blue Heeler for nearly 50 years and a Salt & Pepper Min Schnauzer for close to 40 years, starting with one for my daughter. Lost my last one about a month ago. Been searching for "the one" for a few weeks. She has two litters. I am letting her pick out my pup. Show-able looks and outgoing personality. I take our dogs to all our shows.

I had a Miniature Schnauzer named Shelia love of my life. She went every where with me. If I got an ice cream cone at Braums she also had to have a small cup. Many years ago I backed the trailer up to load a little red Angus bull about 900 lbs. Plan was to rush him in the trailer and shut the middle gate. He beat me to it an came out after me. Shelia run under the fence and grabbed him by the nose the bull tried to shake her off and she just kept ratcehting down on the nose. The the bul loweered his head to the ground and Shelia made about two more bites and turned the bull lose. This bull went to the front of the trailer and stood there without any fuss as I closed the middle gate.

They are a very tenacious rascal. Mine have always thought they were a cow dog, fanning back & forth behind the herd. Like the Jack Russell, they think they weigh 100#. Very tough. Can be a hand full! But, I love them. I do all the grooming myself. Challenging to keep their feet clean in mud season and thawed in winter. Mine have gone out in the snow and finally just stop & look at me. All 4 feet balled up with snow so bad they were stuck to each other or bellie. I will definitely post pictures as soon as I get him. It will be several weeks. I am already thinking that is too long.

I'm sure you will have loads of fun with it! I thought I had a puppy a few days ago until the wife found out how big it would get. AKC papered Rhodesian Ridgeback about 5 months but the wife saw where it could get to 90 pounds. Said he wasn't a house dog.

I'm disappointed... I thought you sold a puppy to a top breeder.
It's a lot easier to find a top breeder to take your money for a puppy than for them to pay you for one of yours.

Son of Butch":29s7flow said:
I'm disappointed... I thought you sold a puppy to a top breeder.
It's a lot easier to find a top breeder to take your money for a puppy than for them to pay you for one of yours.
Yeah, especially when they charge as much as a decent heifer!

Jeanne, with all your experience with heelers.... are you familiar with a "solid cream"? My female just had her 2nd litter. On the first litter one pup didn't turn. On this litter 2 pups didn't turn. I personally like them but I'm not sure that it's a desirable trait. I was told this comes from the Dalmatian blood in the breeds foundation. I have no idea. Any input from anyone will be appreciated.

No, I have not heard of that. Like all breeds (cattle included) there have been "hidden" other breeds introduced along the way. There have been numerous breeds that I have heard used to develop ACD, but the only base has always been the Australian Dingo. Back in the 70's, Ausies would come over here to work/learn on a farm - knew a few in Kansas. They came with their guitar & their heeler. I was always told the working collie & dingos were the main start of the breed. The Dalmatian was never part of the mixture - as told to me.
"In the 19th century, a NSW cattle farmer Thomas Hall crossed the herding dogs used in Northumberland with Australian dingoes, resulting in dogs known as 'Hall's Heelers'. From this developed the Australian Cattle Dog that became often called the red or blue heeler. Later on, another Queensland landowner George Elliot experimented with the crossing of the Dingo and Collie."

JMJ Farms":5gi6atcq said:
Jeanne, with all your experience with heelers.... are you familiar with a "solid cream"? My female just had her 2nd litter. On the first litter one pup didn't turn. On this litter 2 pups didn't turn. I personally like them but I'm not sure that it's a desirable trait. I was told this comes from the Dalmatian blood in the breeds foundation. I have no idea. Any input from anyone will be appreciated.

The solid white (devoid of the blue mottles or red specks and leg coloring) is a crop-out that occurs (there is some debate about the origin, but most suspect it is from the Dalmatian influence). They are not considered breed standard. In all my years of breeding mottles and speckles, I had one that stayed pure white with just a half mask. She was pretty, but not breeding stock in my mind. There are some people out the who covet the odd colors and even give them cute names (slate, chocolate, lilac, purple, etc. ) I am a purist and stick to the breed standard as set forth by the ACK. BTW, the solid/ nearly solid white ones are more prone to hearing issues.... a vet check is a good idea, regardless of your guarantees or standards as a breeder/seller.

Thanks Boot Jack. I had picked up bits and pieces of what you said over the years but you're the first one to put it all together at once.

Thanks BJ - This one is only 5 yrs old, so it will be awhile before we're needing a new one. But, I will try to remember you have them. They are an amazing breed. Too smart for many people to own.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":144q3rzl said:
Thanks BJ - This one is only 5 yrs old, so it will be awhile before we're needing a new one. But, I will try to remember you have them. They are an amazing breed. Too smart for many people to own.
Very true. I think that is one of the major reasons the are one of the most commonly found breeds in shelters. People do not realize that cute little puppy will turn into a Velociraptor and destroy there pretty little condo. :roll:

Latest posts