Punxsutawney Phil

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't even know there was a movie. I have only seen a ground hog once in my life other than on TV. I scared him and he scared me. First thing I did when I got home, was dig out the trusty World Book Encyclopedia and find out what it was, before I told anybody. That's been about 25 years ago and I haven't seen one since. I figured they must of been good eatin or something was the reason there weren't any around here.

upfrombottom":bv4ts4dt said:
I figured they must of been good eatin or something was the reason there weren't any around here.

While I myself have not indulged in eating them, I know many who have. They tell me that if you're going to eat them, the younger ones are better. They tell me that the older ones are very greasy. I've skinned a couple and they do have a nice fatty layer on them.

We have plenty of them here. A former neighbor had one as a pet, named him Henry. He was a pretty neat pet, real friendly.

There are at least 2 on our place (yeah, I know, with 2 there's bound to be many more) that drive the dogs nuts. They chase them down one hole and while the dog is rooting round the hole the groundog went in, the groundhog pops his head up out of a different hole. Cracks me up. :lol2:

Some folks I know call them 'whistle-pigs'.

Katherine

ga. prime":23xp7wez said:
How'd they ever come up with a name like Punxatawney?

He was named after Punxatawney PA and the town was named .... here's a quote

It was during this period that an lndian sorcerer first appeared in various forms and attacked travelers from the East. He was hunted and killed in combat by a young chief. His body was burned to destroy the "evil medicine" but miraculously turned to searing sandflies, or "ponksad," which plagued the area and the Indians. From that time the Indians called the location, " Ponksaduteney," which meant the "town of the sandflies." The sandflies are now gone, but the "ghost of the spelling" is with us to stay.

I think its interesting that the idians did this long before us and if the indians did it it had to be green so PETA needs to back off.

Good research, Jo. Goes to show that Southern Indians had better names than Northern Indians. We got cool names like Muscogee, Ohoopee, Ocmulgee. They got names like Punxatawney. :D

Latest posts