Pumping water from a pond to a tank

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorntractor

Reaction score
All,

Just wanted to share a bit. One of the things we have be wrestling with in setting up our cattle operation is getting water to all the places we need it. We use rotational grazing so that is a big issue for us.

So one thing we needed to do is pump water from our stock pond to a 2,500 gallon water tank about 400 feet up a hill. From there, the water tank, which is on a concrete platform, gravity feeds some watering troughs below.

We also needed to pump water from the stock pond to another 2,500 gallon water tank about 500 feet (in a different direction) up another hill. The pumping does not need to be done at the same time.

Just for a test we bought a 1/2 HP Wayne pump from Home Depot. Amazingly, it worked a whole lot better than I thought it would! The little pump gets the water to both spots with no problem at all. We can not pump to both places at the same time, but it works.

I have included some pictures below.

Here is the pond:
LVnL8bBl.jpg

Here is the first hill:
DxQlsQAl.jpg

Here is the second hill;
TFHIw33l.jpg

Here is the t-connection:
UWZ9PzJl.jpg

Here is the pump:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-2-HP ... 5yc1vZbqn6

Shanghai":1b3xifky said:
How do you get water to the pump ? is the inlet just a hose with a suction strainer
How do you keep it up off the bottom of the pond

Yes, the inlet is a hose with a strainer. I have not figured out a solution for keeping the pipe off the bottom yet. So far, the strainer is keeping the big stuff out of the pump.

Shanghai, I've done this before (not as long and only about 10' gradient of a hill along a 500' run) and I tied the suction hose and strainer up close to a sealed up 5 gal bucket and tossed it out in the pond. Strainer and check valve hung down about 1' from the bucket floating on the surface of the water--worked like a charm. I didn't have electric down at the pond so used a little dinky Craftsman pump, 2" suction hose on a 1 1/2" discharge on a gas powered B&S engine. I figured it would blow the seals out of the pump but it didn't.

I've got one of these types too, that I used to pump out the treated liquid side of a water treatment system last year. Moves lots more water than I thought it would.
http://www.sumppump1.com/images/right-sump-pump.jpg

Wayne makes some pretty good stuff.

Greybeard offered the solution to keeping the pump off the bottom.....

to take it a step further you could rig floatation to keep it up and rig an anchor to keep it in placeand keep the wind and water action from moving it around....

also put a strainer or filter over the inlet strainer.....filter cloth, tightly woven mesh bag, I am currently using panty hose....keeps the fine trash from getting to the pump....really extends pump life.

greybeard":2menxobu said:
Shanghai, I've done this before (not as long and only about 10' gradient of a hill along a 500' run) and I tied the suction hose and strainer up close to a sealed up 5 gal bucket and tossed it out in the pond. Strainer and check valve hung down about 1' from the bucket floating on the surface of the water--worked like a charm. I didn't have electric down at the pond so used a little dinky Craftsman pump, 2" suction hose on a 1 1/2" discharge on a gas powered B&S engine. I figured it would blow the seals out of the pump but it didn't.

I've got one of these types too, that I used to pump out the treated liquid side of a water treatment system last year. Moves lots more water than I thought it would.
http://www.sumppump1.com/images/right-sump-pump.jpg

Wayne makes some pretty good stuff.

That's a good idea
A Lewis aluminum float wouldn't allow water to seep in for permanent use

Shanghai":1yfvvuot said:
Who did you use to put in the storage tanks ?

float valves on the tanks. Pressure builds in the line when the floats close. Pressure switch at the pump cuts it out or activates the starter solenoid. You can do a dozen different tanks this way. One float valve opens and pressure drops. Pump cycles until the float closes again.

(if I understand what you asked)

I have a shurflo 24volt submersible pump with 2 deep cycle batteries and a 6 watt solar panel. This rig has a pressure tank as well. The whole thing sits on a pallet which I haul on a 8x5 trailer. It will keep up with the herd for a week before I have to charge it again.

Latest posts