pump up sprayers

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
Any tips to keep these things working? We seem to really go through them without a lot of use. I have one now that is leaking somewhere out of the top where the cylinder thing goes up and down. I tried oiling that and the seal inside the tank but it is still leaking. I might add that I always rinse out after use and run clean water through the nozzle by pumping it up and spraying for a while. It then gets to air dry.

I'd also be interested in anyone's secrets. I have had the high dollar metal ones and they are a problem too. Lately, I have just been buying the smaller cheap ones and tossing them when they go bad.

We've done the same thing. Bought the expensive ones thinking maybe it would last longer-wrong. The one I am having a problem with now is one of the more expensive metal ones.

The last pump up we bought was the cheapest available.

I try to buy the ones that have the rebuild kits on the shelf by them. :lol: I usually go ahead and get at least one kit at the same time. Last time in, the kit cost within $2 of the whole unit so I bought two whole units (cheap ones from TSC).

I have the best luck ( I currently am using a 2 year old unit with no repairs) if I rinse well after every use. I don't let the sun shine on them while I'm not using them. I usually leave enough water only in the bottom to keep the very bottom seal covered. Vaseline works well to keep the upper ring from drying out.

Could be the flapper valve at the bottom of the sylinder is worn or has a little crud behind it.
The reason oil in the cylinder may not work is becuase a lot of "leathers" in the pump are really just flared plastic that's part of the handle. I rebuild them twice then pitch them and get a new one. Only get about-34 years out of them before they get so bad I don;t feel like fixing them anymore

I think you should take that one back to the store and tell them that you want your money back since it only lasted 34 years. :lol:

I've never taken one apart. I quess I should do that to see if there is any crud in there.

Gate Opener":2kyxrbn1 said:
I think you should take that one back to the store and tell them that you want your money back since it only lasted 34 years. :lol:

I've never taken one apart. I quess I should do that to see if there is any crud in there.

OOPS, dash in the wrong place. Make that 3-4 years. My brain saw exactly what I had meant to type, fingers just let me down................

flaboy?":1lg4qfzt said:
I try to buy the ones that have the rebuild kits on the shelf by them.

Good advice.

Gilmore and Solo seem to be the ones I can get parts for locally. I like the Solo better but it doesn't work worth a hoot with Remedy/Diesel. The Gilmore works best for that (which ain't sayin' much). The Solo I reserve for water based stuff and always rinse it out promptly.

We use SOLO brand sprayers. My employees put them thru abuse you could never imagine and I get at least a year out of each one. I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of gallond thru them.

Horticattleman":29qfrc7w said:
We use SOLO brand sprayers. My employees put them thru abuse you could never imagine and I get at least a year out of each one. I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of gallond thru them.

I use the Solo backpack sprayers. They are good. Had one break this year and was a little miffed but then I remembered I had been using it for 10 years. Also, get you some crop oil and when you are finished rinsing it out, run a little of this thru it. Seems to help keep the plastics and the rubber parts in good shape.

Gate Opener":1u40ahax said:
Any tips to keep these things working? We seem to really go through them without a lot of use. I have one now that is leaking somewhere out of the top where the cylinder thing goes up and down. I tried oiling that and the seal inside the tank but it is still leaking. I might add that I always rinse out after use and run clean water through the nozzle by pumping it up and spraying for a while. It then gets to air dry.

What are you using these sprayers for, and are you mixing the weed killer/fertilizer/whatever with anything besides water? We've got 3 cheap, plastic pump up sprayers - 1 is at least 6 years old (brought it home with me from Georgia back in May 2002), 1 is probably 4 years old, and the 3rd one is at least a year old - not a lick of trouble from any of them, so far. The only thing they have in common is that they were cheap, and the compound being used is mixed with water, and maybe a little drip oil (I use empty 5 gallon drip oil buckets to carry extra water while spraying) only. They get used, they get rinsed out, they may or may not get water sprayed from the nozzle after use (depends on the mood of the sprayer and any time contraints), then they get stuck back in the shed to dry out. If you're using brush/weed killer mixed with diesel, diesel will destroy plastic relatively quickly. Could that possibly be the problem?

dun":319dwotz said:
Gate Opener":319dwotz said:

OOPS, dash in the wrong place. Make that 3-4 years. My brain saw exactly what I had meant to type, fingers just let me down................

I knew what you meant, it was just so funny to me that I couldn't resist. I was like dang, I wish mine would last 34 years. :D

Sounds like I need to buy a solo. What is crop oil and where can you get it?

I have used only things that get mixed with water, no diesel.

I don't use them very much so I wonder if that could be part of the problem?

I got a cheap 1 gallon plastic job that came as a throw away with some product. It sat around for years but a couple of years ago I needed to mix a small amount of Remedy and diesel. Sprayed it and still had a half gallon left so I just left it. This last spring I pumped the sucker up and it worked great. Even still killed the trees I was spraying. Only problem is the top/cylinder is melted to the tank and I can;t get it apart.

msscamp":3ewshvxs said:
What are you using these sprayers for, and are you mixing the weed killer/fertilizer/whatever with anything besides water?

I use mine for just about everything you listed plus insecticides. I always rinse them. Two or three are filled with water and staged anytime we burn brush piles.

I also buy the rebuild kits. If I get 3 years out of the cheap ones, it is an accomplishment.

They are thoroughly rinsed after each use and stored out of the sun. They are not placed inside the house but rather in the shed or barn. It is generally pretty dry and hot here in the summer. That could be it.

yep, I never have found a good sprayer that last anymore than 2 or 3 years. I got a small plastic one (1 gallon) that I use for spraying all my fruit trees. its cheap.. but works.

Limomike":2veejjj2 said:
yep, I never have found a good sprayer that last anymore than 2 or 3 years. I got a small plastic one (1 gallon) that I use for spraying all my fruit trees. its cheap.. but works.

I've had a 12 gallon tank sprayer that I lug aorund on the mule for most small jobs anymore. I've been using it for 8-9 years. In that time the only problem I've had was when I loaned it to a friend and he screwed up the on/off valve. But he also damaged my disk and plow so I should have known what to expect. Told him the other day that I can;t afford to loan him stuff anymore.

I have the secret you seek !! cross my palm with silver

Go buy a small tube of rubber grease
Use it on all rubber parts ,down the tube and on the flapper valve down the bottom , leather maybe ,I havn't tried.

You will get 20 years from the same rubber parts

Gate Opener, before you buy the Solo, consider the Stihl. I've had both,(backpacks I'm speaking of) and I much prefer the Stihl. Once you've had a backpack, you will not want any other kind.

I've never had one that lasts more than a few months, they are handy for barn cleaning, but a real pain in the butt!

GMN

Gate Opener":dmgxxosy said:

I have one that has been working for years that I got from Ace, After every use I wash it out put about a cup of diesel in it and spray it out. Now I don't know if that has made mine last or I have just been lucky.

Latest posts